Tranny Problem

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

crx916

My friend owns a 94 honda accord LX that is an automatic tranny. It's having a weird malfunction when you put it in gear. When you step on the gas slightly you rev all the way to redline, you let go of the gas and step on the gas again and it does the same thing. If you let the gas down for a couple of seconds then it will go into the next gear, but then it repeats the same thing over until you reach into 4th gear. It revs really fast but no speed picks up. On 3rd gear you will rev all the way to 5000 rpm and only get 25 mph, on 4th gear you rev all the way to 5000 rpm and get 40-50 mph, but if you let it bog down and step on the gas again it goes back to it's normal drivability. Can any of you guys tell me what's wrong or give me advice of what i can do.

why would he need a torque converter while there's no gear breakdown. the times when you need a torque converter is too late i don't think that's the problem. i have a feeling it might be the automatic tranny controlling unit, but i heard some bullshit so i wanted an honest and good answer from hondaswap members and advisors.

From what you said, it seems like he can't put the rotational force to the ground. So there has to be a loss in power somewhere and major warn causing the serious slippage, so I would suggest maybe having a professional mechanic look at it, and yes it could easily be a torque converter, because that is where the rotational force is put from the engine to the transmission and worn out torque converters often ahve those symptoms.

Back