Tranny Problem?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

George777

^^ Likes Bewbies
I bought a tranny from an Si CRX to put on my hatch. According to the stamp on the tranny, it says that it is an L3, and after looking at the references here and on other sites, everything leads to say it is a 5 speed. However, after installing it with new flywheel and clutch kit, I have no 5th gear. The guy I bought it from said it was in operating condition, and everything else works. Is this an installation problem, or a tranny problem? Should I really be too concerned with not having a 5th gear?

Yea there will be a prob becuase of the fact 5th gear is damaged this will lead to toher problems later

maybe it is a 4 speed - if it is, then it has terrible gearing - you can't tell a 4 speed from a 5 speed just by looking at it

try fucking with it while at a stop 1 3 5
2 4 R
keep messing with it and see it it feels like any thing there

I called the guy that sold me the tranny, and he said that he rebuilds the trannys before he sells them. He said most of his applications are for turbo swaps, so he rebuilds them four speed instead of 5 speed...

I hope I didn't just get ripped off...

to my knowledge i dont know of many 4 speed honda trannys thats to MY knowledge Do some more research good luck

I called the guy that sold me the tranny, and he said that he rebuilds the trannys before he sells them. He said most of his applications are for turbo swaps, so he rebuilds them four speed instead of 5 speed...

I hope I didn't just get ripped off...
the 4 speeds have the same 1 thru 4 gears as the CRX HF transmission and have a 3.88 final drive like a DX - i would bet that it is a 4 speed from a Civic STD

I hope so...Once I get my axles in I will take it for a cruise and see what's up with it. I wanted a 5 speed because I will be traveling a lot with my new position that I take on in January...I can only assume without a 5th gear it's going to be a little harder on the MPG.

Was it a dog? Not that I have much done to the car, but I liked the little bit of get up and go that the 5-speed offered. In about a month I am going to do the DPFI to MPFI as well...

Back