Tranny question...00 B18C1

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

What could cause a tranny to pop out of gear by itself? Meaning, through all the gears theres no problems, no grinds, and its smooth. All of a sudden, when I put it into 5th and ride at about 60mph a few minutes later it just slides out of gear. When I put it back into gear theres no problem but when I hold onto the shifter for a few minutes, I can feel the small amount of pressure of the shifter trying to push out of gear. Could it be a mount not bolted down or maybe the shiftlinkage? Or a problem internally. Tranny has only 27k miles.

i had the same problem except mine scrapped a little when i took it apart the whole top assembly was burned out so i put a new 5th gear and and everything above it the bearings where fried actually i overhauled the whole tranny but its popping out cause its either fried or the synchro is toast ur gonna have to open it up

My brother had the same problem w/ his b16 in his ef hatch. It would pop out of gearin fifth. We checked the trans fluid and it was almost empty. Pass side axle seal was no good so we replaced that, filled up the tranny and it never happened again. It does whine in 4rth gear now though, maybe a bearing is not to good anymore.
Hope that helps, good luck

Back