tranny shifting problems

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

tunerboy

I just finished changing the block on my 00 civic ex with manual tranny. After I put everything together, came to find that the tranny won’t shift into any gears. I did some diagnostics and found that it was either the pressure plate to tight or the throw out bearing was dislodged and not making any contact. So I dropped the tranny and found that the bearing was hooked up fine and so I loosened and retightened the pressure plate to 19ft/lb and put it all back together. I redid the pressure plate because my friend that put it in during the initial install only hand tightened it.

Now the tranny goes into gear but with a lot of force into 1st but the other forward going gears takes less effort once the car gets going but it still takes force. Reverse takes some effort and grinds before going in.

I know that the transmission is good because it was working fine before. So the question is, what am I doing wrong? I have done clutches in the past but have yet to experience anything like this.

Any help will be much appreciated, thank you.

Sounds like the clutch pedal is out if adjustment. If it's a cable tranny you can tighten the clutch cable. If it's hydro make sure the system is blead right.

if u changed the block how did u not disconnect the line from the clutch fork? did u have a jack or something supporting the tranny, because when i did any work to my tranny i always disconneted that line in fear that it would break. does ur clutch feel extremely soft? if so theres no pressure and u need to bled it. do it like you would on a break by opening the bleeder valve on the end of the clutch (caliper) idk what you'd call it. than press the clutch down. so on and so forth. if not, than take off the fork assembly thingy and see if you can freely move the fork from left to right. of so theres something wrong with your throw out bearing

I did in fact have the tranny on a jack while i dropped the block. I just removed some of the bolts that mounted the fluid line to allow for some slack.The pedal feels as firm as it did before I beagan with little slack and the fork assembly has no play in it.

my knoweldge is limited. i gave the advice i could, sorry it wasnt of help. good luck with getting it to shift though.

so let me get this right , you did a motor swap only , and reused all old tranny parts ?

sounds like he just put another motor in the car, like another y8. but you think he'd at least do the clutch. if u have the motor out you might as well.

I did not do a full motor swap. I reused the head and certain components that i needed from the old block. The clutch barely had any wear on it so it would have been pointless buying a brand new clutch.

maybe the slave cylinder came out of alinment and not pushing all they way to engage or disengage the clutch??

defiantly an engagement issue , did you use a guide to when setting up the clutch and pressure plate , or did you just eye ball it ?

Back