tranny swap viability

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

zachsdad

Hey guys, I'm trying to help out my son. I've read tons of posts but still unsure how to proceed. He has a stock 95 del sol (d15b7 & s20-2 tranny). He also has a 91 crx (d15b & L3-1 not original to car) he's going to sell. I've read "any d series tranny will bolt to any d series block". I was thinking about switching out the 2 trannies. We've gotta put a clutch in one anyway & thought we could upgrade the del sol with the L3 due to better gearing. I see 3 problems: the del sol is hydro & crx is cable. The del sol also has an additional mounting point the L3 doesn't accommodate ( could just omit?). My biggest concern is it appear the passenger side mount that's welded to the frame in the del sol doesn't look like it will line up with the mounting point on the L3 tranny. If we have to throw a ton of money at it to make it work, we may as well buy a compatible tranny. I'm trying to do an inexpensive upgrade but not sure this qualifies. We were gonna start today & I'd very much appreciate some of the wisdom out there. Thanks in advance.

IMO, the 'gain' from the gearing isn't worth the trouble. The motor isn't powerful enough to really take advantage of it in the first place. z6 trannies can be had for $150 all day anyway, no point in spending nearly that on a mount to make something older work

Thanks for the input. Any recommendations on a used tranny supplier on the west coast (heading that way in a couple weeks)?

your best bet is probably a junk yard, or even craigslist, or even on the forums. They aren't very rare. 75-125 is going price last i remember...

Back