tranny swap wiring

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

GlassHeadlights

West West Yall
i have a 90 civic si, it used to be a automatic i swaped it over to manual, all mechanical stuff worked except how am i going to wire up the reverse wires. there are two wires coming out of the tranny and one wire from the automatic engine wiring harness. i believe the reverse signal was from the shifter in the interior, i could be wrong.;)

Last edited:
Identify the sensor first. Manual transaxles usually have two. Reverse lamp switch (for reverse lights), and the VSS (vehicle speed sensor). The two-wire is your VSS. Your reverse lamp switch is on a ground controlled circuit and should only have one wire, but I may be wrong because I have seen some cars with a two-wire that were power controlled circuits, not ground controlled circuits.

i'm confused, so the two wires coming out of my standard tranny are vehicle speed sensor wires? so why aren't there two "vss" wires on my engine harness? on the automatic tranny the one wire that went to the auto tranny went to a solonoid looking thing.

No, the two wires coming out of you tranny (green one and yellow one I think) are for your reverse lights. Your vss should be cable driven.

i couldn't get a pic cause my camera was dead but the two wires coming out of the tranny are yellow and green. and the one wire on my engine wiring harness was a yellowish orangeish color. if that cable is the vss then i know what that is , my spedo works. tha tranny came out of a 1989 civic si and my car is a 1990 civic si

should i try to hook up the yellow wire out of the tranny to the yellowish wire in the engine harness then hook the green to a ground and see what i get or is that stupid?:ph34r:

I'm confused. Were the two wires coming out of the trans. for the VSS or the reverse lamp switch?

should i try to hook up the yellow wire out of the tranny to the yellowish wire in the engine harness then hook the green to a ground and see what i get or is that stupid?:ph34r:

Get a wiring diagram and find out exactly what it is.

the two wires out of the trans are reverse wires, the vss i believe is cable driven at the back of the tranny, i dont need to know about that.

this is what i found in my book. its saying the reverse wires are in the center consol in the interior.the wires coming off of my tranny (yelloy and green) must be reverse because under the center consol there isn't one wire.

Attachments

• honda.jpg
    honda.jpg
    437.9 KB · Views: 908
Last edited:
i have a 88 civic dx standard donor car i could take wires off of if that helps i'll take a look at it in the light of day

The wires comming off of the shifter plug are for the ECU. The Green and Yellow wires comming off of the transmission are for the reverse lights. The Green goes to the Positive on the Reverse Lights and the Yellow goes to the Fuse Box.

i got them working , but almost by myself! the wires at the shifter weren't just for the ecu. i folloyed all the wires coming from the shifter and two wires went to the back of the car and they happened to be the same color as the two wires on the tranny!. i ran a 18 gauge speaker wire from the tranny to the shifter in the interior and there happened to be a positive wire when the ignition was on in the plug for the automatic so i coupled the wires there and it worked out prefect!:)

i got them working , but almost by myself! the wires at the shifter weren't just for the ecu. i folloyed all the wires coming from the shifter and two wires went to the back of the car and they happened to be the same color as the two wires on the tranny!. i ran a 18 gauge speaker wire from the tranny to the shifter in the interior and there happened to be a positive wire when the ignition was on in the plug for the automatic so i coupled the wires there and it worked out prefect!:)

Might want to try something other than speaker wire. What age do they let you kids drive in Canada?

i'm 14 now and at 16 you get a "L" which is a learners and a adult has to be in the car at all times. then after a year you get a "N" which is a new driver i think and you get to drive on your own then after another year you get your full lisence. it sucks that you guys get to drive at 14:(i'm trying to make my 90 si as nice as possible before i start driving:D

Back