Tranny Swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

f22b1 coupe

Is it possible, on a 96 Accord, to swap out the (bad abd slipping) automatic transmission without having to pull the engine like the Haynes book says? I was told by someone he just jacks the front end up, lowers the engine mouns, and then (after all the necessary disassembly) can undo the passenger's side engine mount, let the engine drop down a little, and pull the tranny out the bottom with the motor still in. Has anyone done this or seen it done? Is it a lot better than pulling the engine?

Yes, it's possible to do it the way you described, and certainly much easier than removing the whole engine.

lol once you get under there with standard jack stands and ramps and what not you are going to relize how cramped the space is to swap that transmission out, take the engine out it will be much easier

lol, well, there's mixed opinions here for sure. Have either of you actully pulled an accord tranny, or are you speaking from experience with others?

lol, well, there's mixed opinions here for sure. Have either of you actully pulled an accord tranny, or are you speaking from experience with others?

I've never actually done the pulling solely myself, but I've been present for doing it both from underneath a lift and with just jacking the car up. HondaDude's right, it can get kind of cramped underneath there, but I'd still prefer it to actually pulling the entire engine.

If you have access to a shop with a lift though, that would probably be the best case scenario.

I have actually done this exact trans swap, yes its cramped, but entirely possible. Just watch the pass. side radius rod as it always seen to be in the way. I pulled all mounts loose except th e drivers side. Put a board on a jack under the oilpan on the engine. Don't worry you wont put enough force on the pan to damage it. it should let you pivot it down enough to miss everything

yea, def. is actually easier than pullin the motor out (time at least) to raise the front of the car, diconnect linkages, wiring, and everything else, raise jack to trans and raise it little bit to make the bolts come out easier, and unbolt it, nd she will come out.....obviously drain the trans fluid

Back