Tranny Swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Rivan

Has any one ever swaped out there automatc transmission for a five speed? Ive got a 1991 CRX DX, Im gonna be dropin in a ZC here pretty soon and i wana swap out my tranny. I know there are alot of you sain sell it and get a SI but that isnt what i wana do ;) Alot of people have given me flak for havin a DX so im gonna show them whats up now. IM lookin for any and all info i can get on a swap of this nature. Any websites, pics articales or past experinces would be a great help. Thank you all very much for taking the time to read this artical. Oh btw the ZC im getting is gonna be the DOHC if that matters any. I was planning on getting a SI tranny for the beter final gear ratio. Thank you agian for taking your time to read this. if you dont feel like posting here e-mail me at rivan_17@hotmail.com

Jeramy
1991 CRX DX

yeah theres a few people on here i heard swapped the auto for manny..but i also heard its a pain in the ass..

Get serious I hate when people come here asking questions and no one will answer them

Here you go...
You'll need the transaxle (transmission whateva') (of course)
Shift link and stabilizer,
shifter,
clutch,brake, and gas pedal assembly (one piece),
as for wiring for the back up light I have no idea on that...

So I hope I helped unline most of the people who posted... I am swapping an auto out for manual transmission within the next month or so... hopefully!

I am curently swaping out my stock dx motor and tranny for a b16a1, my car also is an automatic, my solution for the wiring was to go to the junk yard and pull the entire body and engine wiring harness from a stick 4dr. so i dont have to cut wires up more than i have too, and yes it is a BIG PAIN IN THE ASS!!! :angry: :angry: :angry:

well i did an auto to manual to my current integra (took me two days)

and i also did it to a 91 integra and that took me a month becasue it was a complete engine swap and he never had all the parts (similar procedures to you 88-91 DX)

you need

-Pedal Box (COMPLETE with all three pedals)
-clutch Cable
-Shifter Linkage
-shifter and shifter nob, with leather cover

you will need these tools, and need to do these too
-Power Drill... to drill a 1 or 1.5 inch thick hole in the firewall for the clutch cable
-drill the hold right where the sotck cable would run if the car was originally a 5 speed
-i dont remember, but i think there is a hole there already for the shifter lever, if there is then GREAT, now for the bolts that hold the linkage up, you will need to drill those, so u can use a two 12mm bolts and nuts to holt it up.

First, (i did this a day before the swap)
to Pull down the pedal box from your car, and put the 5 speed one up.
IF YOU HAVE A 92-95 CIVIC, OR 94 UP INTEGRA, YOU DONT NEED TO DO THIS, JUST ADD THE CLUTCH BOX, AND REPLACE THE BRAKE PEDAL WITH THE SMALLE 5 SPEED PEDAL. **THESE ARE NOT "ONE PIECE" PEDAL BOX SYSTEM** and you will use the hydro lines and clutch master & slave cylinder

-Unbold the four(might be more depends on the car) bolts holding the pedal box to the firewall
-Unbold the upper bolt on the pedal box on the car chassy (this takes some skill)
-disconnect the steering colum shaft,
-diconnect the brake light switch. -
-disconnect the throttle cable,
-disconnect the pin that is connected to the BRAKE MASTER CYLINDER.
- then pull down the whole system
-drill the hole for the clutch cable
-PUT IN THE NEW PEDAL BOX,
- then connect up back everything just the way u took them down...

Now for the lever
-pull down the complete auto lever and THROW IT OUT. you will see a MAIN PLUG with wires that lead to the circuit board on the LEAVER, you will need this later one while doing the WIRING.

THE HARD PART IS OVER

NOW HERE IS THE TRICKY PART, THAT WILL DRIVE YOU NUTS, IF YOU DONT SEE THE PROBLEM BEFORE HAND.
FOR THE 92-95 CIVICS, AND 94 UP INTEGRAS THE CHASSIS ARE DIFFERENT
the brakect that you bolt the UPPER TRANNY MOUNT to is different, hence you will need a special mount made or bought for the swap, if you stupidly try to use the 5 speed mount it will be about 1 inch off from the hole and you will not be able to finish your swap...(i have the special mount in my car now made by place racing, and i can take a picture for you)

remember this is trick NOT DIFFICULT, you just get the right mount and everything bolts up perfectly.

FOR THE 88-91 CIVIC I DONT KNOW IF THE CHASSIS ARE DIFFERENT FOR THE AUTO AND MANUAL. BUT YOU CAN FIND OUT BY CALLING PLACERACING
THEY BUILD THE MOUNTS AND THE MOUNT YOU MIGHT NEED RUNS FOR ABOUT $140.

after you find out what is the situation with the mount, you can proceed with the swap, and everything will bolt up find.

WIRING

after the swap, you will not have any reverse light, nor will you be able to start car, nor remove your key from the ignition.

you will have to find the Two THICK wires (both has two colours, black and then another colour*not sure what color*, but i am certain there are only two thick wires), they are the only two thick wires, and by connecting those, you will be able to start car AND remove your key from the ignition..... YOU WILL BE SOO HAPPY AFTER THIS, YOU WILL HAVE A BURST OF ENGERY TO FINISH THE SWAP NO MATTER WHAT TIME OF THE DAY NOR NIGHT IT IS...LOL

REVERSE LIGHTS

now reffer to the helms manual, for the two wires that activate the REVERSE light.
(for the 92-95 civic and 94+ integras, the reverse light wres are the DIRECTLY ABOVE the TWO THICK WIRES on the plug...so above one thick wire is one reverse, and above the other thick wire is other reverse wire)...run both wires into the engine bay and connect each of them to one of the two wires leaving the tranny (the plug on the tranny is for the reverse light switch).

then the rest of the swap is basic ENGINE SWAP stuff.

LATER

before you start to flame me, please understand i got my integra for MAD cheap, it has VERY low miles, and it is completely mint.
and i had plans of swapping a race setup motor and tranny...
so since i already had the 00 GSR tranny, and MOST of the parts for the tranny swap, i just went and got the car. THE ONLY PART I NEEDED WAS THE SPECIAL TRANNY MOUNT.

car.jpg

only problem i have with it, is the headlights, and the front bumper clear coat seems to be stripping.....

integra.jpg

Originally posted by Rivan@Sep 26 2003, 10:25 AM
Has any one ever swaped out there automatc transmission for a five speed? Ive got a 1991 CRX DX, Im gonna be dropin in a ZC here pretty soon and i wana swap out my tranny. I know there are alot of you sain sell it and get a SI but that isnt what i wana do ;) Alot of people have given me flak for havin a DX so im gonna show them whats up now. IM lookin for any and all info i can get on a swap of this nature. Any websites, pics articales or past experinces would be a great help. Thank you all very much for taking the time to read this artical. Oh btw the ZC im getting is gonna be the DOHC if that matters any. I was planning on getting a SI tranny for the beter final gear ratio. Thank you agian for taking your time to read this. if you dont feel like posting here e-mail me at rivan_17@hotmail.com

Jeramy
1991 CRX DX

you will need to do a DX to ZC/SI wiring.....it is not hard....
i did it about four time before

go here...
DX to ZC/SI wiring instructions

Back