Trans Question?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CrixSi91

I currently have a D16Z6 VTEC power plant in my 91 CRX Si. I am running it with a stock 91 CRX Si trans. My question is should I keep the trans I have now or is there a better trans I can use? I like the Si trans, but this is my second trans I have put in this car. The first trans did fair to well when I launched it for a dead stop. It threw a gear and left a hole the size of a baseball. Now I am a little hesitant of launching the car. I just don't want to leave my self stranded somewhere or make an ass of my self at the track.

Any suggestions?

Hasport makes a cable car-hydro conversion you should look into that. I think crx's are cable but I know d16z6 are usually used with a hydraulic tranny like an Si/EX tranny 92' up.

i believe the si trans has the best gearing for racing..honestly if your worried about breaking shit then dont race and dont mod...

Hasport makes a cable car-hydro conversion you should look into that. I think crx's are cable but I know d16z6 are usually used with a hydraulic tranny like an Si/EX tranny 92' up.

:werd:

I'd look into getting the Hasport kit and running a hydraulic EX/Si tranny. They're actually quite a bit more stout than the older cable versions.

i believe the si trans has the best gearing for racing..honestly if your worried about breaking shit then dont race and dont mod...
x2 agree crx si trans are better than z6 trans...it has more stamina best gearing for racing, look an da bright side its already cable plug n play.......

x2 agree crx si trans are better than z6 trans...it has more stamina best gearing for racing, look an da bright side its already cable plug n play.......

Check out the specs on the 4th gen Si gearbox vs. the 5th gen: https://hondaswap.com/reference-materials/honda-transmission-specs-29132/

The final drive is the same, and the gear ratios are nearly the same as well. If he's having bad luck with broken cable trannys then I'd say it's time to upgrade to a newer hydraulic one. Hasport makes cable-to-hydro kits for a reason...

everyone makes a good point. i guess its all depends on what u prefer, cable or hydraulic. i am going to stay with the cable one for now. i think i just might buy a spare trans and have it rebuilt so its ready to go at any time.

right now i am using the stock clutch and flywheel i am waiting for some income to come in so i can buy an exedy clutch and flywheel. right now the D16Z6 is stock with a skunk 2 IM, an OBX TB and a N2 neuspeed header, but i am planning on getting the comp cams 59300 cam, skunk 2 cam gear, port and polish, a three angle valve job and valve lapping done soon.

Back