trans wont come off?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

tryint to remove trans wiggled the shyt out of it and it still not coming loose..seems like some thing is holding it on the inside...... do they slide right off or... am i 4 getting somehing?....i dont know..the tranny is loose....i jus cant get it off seems like it still connected to fly whell.........

the transmission isn't bolted to the flywheel in any form or fashion...it's attached just like the cv axles are attatched, by a splined...uh...thing. when i took my tranny off my stock motor to use the clutch bolts on my swap, something on the dust shield was hung up. make sure you have all of the bolts for the dust shield taken off, as well as the brackets that go from the tranny to the block. I ended up getting pissed and just beating the shit out of it with a 5lb sledge. turns out i'd missed one little bolt on the dust shield...oh well.

it's probably something in plain sight that you're just missing. that's what usually happens.

yeah check all around the tranny to see if you maybe missed a bolt that is used to hold the tranny to the bottomend.

check top and bottom tranny mount
check if shiftlinkage is still connnected
make sure right axle is out along with internmediate shaft

ya the start will bolt it in, and i believe theres 7 other bolt that hold it to the engine, 2 for the starter, 2 on the front, and 3 underneath. after that are out, it will seem like a bitch, but wiggle and pull hard, if u can get it out a little bit, slide a crowbar into the crack between the engine and tranny, and get some leverage on it, and push it out that way.

:werd:

what everyone already said. there are a few bolts on there that are easily spotted and then there is the starter bolt.
don't forget to take the dust cover off and the 2 stiffener bolts.

if your engine and tranny are still in the car don't foget to take the 2 bolts off from the rear engine mount also.

ya you dont need to fully remove the starter, just the one bolt that goes into the block. i had to pry mine off with a big fatty screw driver, the thing sits pretty sung on there... its just as much fun putting it back on :)

Originally posted by B16@Sep 8 2003, 06:25 PM
ya you dont need to fully remove the starter, just the one bolt that goes into the block. i had to pry mine off with a big fatty screw driver, the thing sits pretty sung on there... its just as much fun putting it back on :)

that's the reason why i pulled the entire thing out when i was swapping trannies. it's a pain in the ass trying to pull the tranny out and even put it back in when everything is still in the car.

Back