transmision cooling with 4.9 final drive?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

EvoTec1

I just got my lsd and 4.9 fd for my dx tranny rebuild...

Im going to be spinning lots more rpms after the switch, so should i be looking at transmissin cooling options?

Is that an issue with hondas? I mean ive met ppl using stock gearboxes with 20+psi...

car will be road raced occasionally, rallied in targas, and roadtripped to distant mecca tracks like mid ohio and infineon. Does anyone run a trans temp guage?

Last edited:
maybe you should just run a temp guage and if it seems to be getting above normal, add the trans cooler?

sorry no experiance there. sorry nobody's helpin yet. not many people seem to get to worries about their trans here.

cryogenic treatments are probably what your looking for, if your worried. that heat treats the metal, and makes it real resistant. i'd run it easy at first, and monitor it as best your wallet will let you.

if i were to be taking rpms higher than what the tranny was intended to do, and be racing as u said u were gonna use ur application for, then i would deff upgrade the type of tranny fluid used and add a cooling system for it.

quaife... i found a kaaz for 150 cheaper.... i may still be able to exchange it what do you guys think?

I hear phantom grip and slicks was a big loser bet so i decided to spend some money

And the NW Honda challenge races are short, so i was more worried about road tripping than anything. I have a cooler lying around (it was actually for a 72 cutlass) so using a gauge and then making a decision sounds like a plan.

3500rpm @70 mph isnt too bad right?

oh and cryo treatment.... hmmm. sounds spendy. any info?

Actually this tranny build is stretching me a little thin as it is...

quaife... i found a kaaz for 150 cheaper.... i may still be able to exchange it what do you guys think?

I hear phantom grip and slicks was a big loser bet so i decided to spend some money

And the NW Honda challenge races are short, so i was more worried about road tripping than anything. I have a cooler lying around (it was actually for a 72 cutlass) so using a gauge and then making a decision sounds like a plan.

3500rpm @70 mph isnt too bad right?

lol maybe you are over worried about it. my stock JDM B16 with Y21 trans is spinning 4,200rpm @ 80mph, my normal highway speed. I'm pretty sure you'll be ok.

sorry i dont know where you could get a cryo treatment. maybe someone else will come through with some knowlege.

you will be fine the dx trans dosent even have a speedo sender that has a oil pump built in to so how do you plan on adding a cooler all d series dont have a pump and are you serious about a 4.90 in a d series whoos did you buy

I would keep the fluid to oem spec. As for an oil cooler, you can install one if needed but some custom fab work will be in your future. I've seen a couple turbo civic's running oil coolers. Pretty interesting.

Plenty of road course D's running no transmission coolers with zero problems. I'm running a DOHC ZC transmission with a 4.25 FD, I turn around 3700rpm at 70mph and usually cruise between 3700-4000rpms for hours with zero problems.

DX transmission do have VSS's, it's just different styles(mechanical ones in the 91 and older, and electronic in the 92-00). The VSS's are interchangeable so that doesn't matter.

Run Honda MTF and you should be fine.

I recommend on you talk to BoneSpec/TransZex on D-series.org or Onecamonly.com. He's the D-series transmission guru and has a lot of vouches from pro racers.

yeah had a friend with a ls vtec and that short tranny.I didn't know he was spinning like that... it WAS fast as stink though!

I think all will be ok, im sure i'll just install a temp guage to be on the safe side

Its a king motorsports super ring and pinion in 4.9 ratio.... a friend decided his first gear was too short on 15's so he went with 4.7

I want to run ricer sh it like 17's and mesh grilles to be sleeper so 4.9 is perfect for me!

:ph34r: ef-in NINJA!

oh and im not really into cryo, this tranny rebuild is busting my balls financially as it is!

Whats funny is the motor im putting this on is more or less a STOCK d15.

Tell your friend Gear-X is releasing a 3.083(something like that) 1st gear which should help out.

Back