Transmision probs!!!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

GmodKid

Ok so I'm having problems with my b16 trans! Won't go into 1st-2nd but goes into third and up and reverse.!now I know that it's most likely the synchros!! But all I see are threads on how how to change 3-5 synchros and not 1-2! If anyone know what I can do or any links on a DIY I would greatly aprreciate it!

just take your time in doing so :), rebuilt my trans awhile ago using this, was a pain but well worth it, shifts so nice now

I need a little bit more info specific towards the counter shaft opposed to the main shaft because I want to replace the 1-2 gear synchros and I have that thread saved on my phone just to be sure

lol... Can't help you, honestly, I went to a acura dealership asked a buddie and got the Rebuild manual Copied for what I didn't know. U mite try your luck with that

I guess thats one of my only choices for now.u wouldn't happen to have a spare b series tranny for sale would you?

hydro or Cable? and were do u live? mite be one closer than me lmao

Hydro and I live in Maryland I really need to either fix my tranny or buy one but I haven had any luck around my area

Rebuild it yourself. Rebuild kits can be had for fairly cheap, and they include bearings, synchros, synchro sleeves, etc. most of the big things you'll want to replace while you have your tranny apart. Here: BSK-SYN101 Type R GSR B16 Bearing Seal and Carbon Synchro KIt - Synchrotech Transmissions Inc

What exactly do you need to know about the mainshaft and the counter shaft? It's ridiculously easy. The main shaft is the shaft that has the input on the end of it. The countershaft is the only other shaft in the transmission. 1st and 2nd are going to be your two larger gears, 3, 4, and 5 progressively get smaller. Check the teeth on the gear cones to be sure that there isn't any horrible amount of marring on the teeth of the gears. If your car won't go into gear at all, I suspect that the synchro sleeves are so badly warn that it simply won't allow for a gear change. It's either that or the teeth on the gear cone are so badly worn that it won't allow the sleeve to slide on the end of it. Chances are you'll get it apart and figure out that you need a 1-2 synchro sleeve and possibly to replace some of the gears themselves (not cheap).

You can figure out how to disassemble it from the thread linked above. When re-assembling, be SURE that everything is clean. Clean the magnet, clean the mating surface of both sides of the case, and any debris or shavings that may be in the gears or still inside the transmission. Also, you'll want to use a piece of 300-400 grit sandpaper to scuff the contact surface for the synchro on the gears themselves.
images

The contact surface is at the top of the gear in this picture. The teeth next to it are the ones you need to inspect for significant wear. The one in this pic appears to be badly worn. If the teeth still have their same general shape, you can just take a file and file down any points or disfigurations in the teeth. The teeth at the very bottom are the teeth that actually make contact when the car is in gear. Inspect those for wear as well. If there's any dings/dents in them you're going to want to replace the whole gear.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I have done 2 rebuilds in the past 6 months. One B16 hydro and one d16 hydro. Both turned out great.

OH and one last tip for disassembly. When you are pulling gears off the end of the shaft, set them all face down and put them in order. That way you can just pick them up and place them back on the shaft in the correct order :)

Thanks for the link to the whole rebuild set! I saw a set of the same synchros but those alone were 275$ but this a way better deal and I wanted to know how to exactly disassemble the counter shaft because I pretty much know how to take apart the main shaft but I wanted to see 1-2 synchro which are on the main shaft! But thanks for the info! I'll take a look and see if I'll be able to handle this task as it will be my first tranny rebuild! All help is greatly appreciated!

Ok so I check the synchro for fist and second gear and they all engage smoothly as they should now my question is could there have been a problem with something else?such as the forks not working properly?

The forks are not likely to be screwed up. They can really only go in one way, and it would take an act of god to bend one of them.

So, let me get a couple things straight so I can hopefully lead you down the correct path here:
1) is the transmission in or out of the car?
2) you stated the transmission will shift in to 3rd and reverse, what about 4th and 5th? Also, is this problem occurring with the car running, off, or both?

About the counter shaft: You'll need a 3 arm bearing puller to disassemble that shaft. You can find those at most auto parts stores. You need it to remove the top two bearings, and also for some of the synchro sleeves. The slides come right off, as do the synchronizers and gears.

1)tranny is off the car now
2)shifts in all al gears except 1-2
Wouldn't shift into fist and second regardless of the tranny beig in the car or not
But I have moved the slider and engaged 1-2 on the counter shaft hence my problem.

Ok, so you have already split the transmission and rebuilt it? Or you have just pulled it out of the car and are trying to identify the problem?

I have it apart and the synchros don't look all that bad but I haven't rebuilt it yet.just trying to figure out the issue.all the sliders move as they should so that's y I'm concerned about other issues within the trany

Ok, this is making more sense now. lol
The transmission won't shift properly with the case split. From here on out, you'll be relying upon your eyes to find the problem. I'd at LEAST pull the shafts out of the housing and pull them apart to inspect the synchros. You can't be sure that everything is ok with the shafts still in the housing. The sleeves may be worn, the slides may be worn, it is just too hard to say without pulling the shafts out and apart. That'd be my next step if I were you.

You don't have any binding in 1st or 2nd on the shaft??? Like maybe some worn shavings or something stuck in the gears? just another idea... or something stopping the synco from moving?

check the spring/ball bearing and the detents of the 1/2 fork...

Spring ball bearing seems fine and I've checked for debriss in there but haven't found any. I look at my forks and they all look like they've been messed with! I'm not sure but the seem to have some welding work on them right where the fork connects to its rod

Last edited:
Back