Transmission / clutch trouble / Low RPM bogging

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mattpowers

Hey guys, I have a CRX with a B16 in it, cable trans. I've been driving this car for 2.5 years swapped, and recently have had problems with the transmission and / or clutch. I don't have the right clutch cable on it, and never have, but it I think this problem is something different.

The problem is that when taking off, and only at low RPMs, my car wants to stutter and shake, like it's misfiring or something. then once the RPMs are past like... 2.5, the car runs smooth. The clutch doesn't even seem to slip very much. This also occurs if I just slow down to 2000 rpm and mash the gas, it'll choke. It also gets worse when the car is warmed up.

One thing I noticed is that after driving for 40 minutes or so, I parked the car in neuteral, and it was fighting to keep running. I opened the hood and could hear like a tapping sound from ( I think) the transmission case. I was wondering if the clutch could be sticking to the flywheel or something like that. I've also had problems starting the car unless I gas it, where I normally have 0 problems.

I was thinking this was a fuel problem at first, but I have 0 problems with high RPMs. it runs awesome all the way to 8k, and no problem with WOT. It's only a low RPM issue.

Thanks in advance.
-Matt

Sounds almost like your plugs are fouled. Give em a check and see if they arnt all gobbed with carbon or over worn. Just to scratch it off the list. As for the ticking it could be your lost motion assemblies or valve clearance. You sure its from the tranny case?

Last edited:
Back