1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transmission fluid

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by slayer1927, May 16, 2011.

1. slayer1927

slayer1927 New Member

1989 honda civic . 5 speed manual I have looked for a place to put tranmission fluid but I can't find a place on top on sides or bottom the only place I find is a sensor on top I am not sure if I shoud put it there or not.

Also what kind of oil should I use?

2. K2e2vin

K2e2vin Senior Member

There's a fill hole(14 or 17mm bolt) that's about the same height as the axle. You can fill through the reverse sensor but make sure the fill hole is open; the correct way to fill it is to fill until fluid overflows from the fill hole(car should be on level surface).

Any works: GM/Pennzoil Syncromesh, Honda MTF, Torco MTF/RTF, Amsoil Synchromesch, 10w30, etc.

Many people will just outright suggest Honda MTF but their formulas have changed, and unfortunately I'm not a fan(the latest formula seems closer to ATF; and biased more towards their newer transmissions). If anything, maybe a mix of Honda MTF and 10w30 would be good or best. I'd also avoid Royal Purple Syncromesh; it's pretty watery, like ATF, and doesn't work well when cold.

I'd suggest GM/Pennzoil Synchromesh+friction modifier or if you're willing to spend a little more, Torco MTF.

Last edited: May 22, 2011
  3. slayer1927

slayer1927 New Member

Ok sounds good. Thanx

4. serrilion

serrilion In my own little world! VIP

another good one i have dound is regular Valvoline 10w30... works well if u have a daily driver. I've had it in my civic for 140,123 miles now and it has given me no problems up here in cold butt vermont

5. B16RacerN2NR

B16RacerN2NR Working Hard VIP

I am a FIRM believer in Honda MTF. Both old and new formula.

I didn't have good results with Synchromesh and I had ok results with Exxon 10-30 motor oil.

Tons of people have had good experience with Synchromesh, as Kevin suggested, but in my case, it was a bust.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted