Transmission issue

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

c!v!c

elite crew
1st gear brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
2nd gear brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
3rd gear brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
4th gear brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
5th gear brrrrrrrVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRneutral

WTF!? All onomatopoeia aside...

1995 EG8 Civic, freshly swapped B16A blah blah typical stuff, but driving down the highway today, showing my passenger how the car accelerates when in 5th gear, the shifter popped into the neutral position all by itself. Whooooooa what is going on here? So I put it back in gear and go again, sure enough, it pops back into neutral out of 5th. So I got off the highway and never got past 4th on the way home. While going up and down my street in 5th to determine the problem, it seems as though the torque (yeah yeah B16 has no torque, whatever) rotates the engine backwards a little, which is understandable, but when the engine torques back, I can feel it pulling the shift linkage forward, and therefore the shift lever backwards and pops the damn thing out of gear.

Now, this only happens in 5th gear when giving it some throttle and the engine starts to pull.

I read somewhere that it may not be the linkage pulling out, that it may be bad bearings/synchros in my tranny, and I'd really love that to not be the case.

I was thinking I might just go straight to my summer project and swap in those stiff HASPORT mounts to prevent the engine from torquing back, but if it's the bearings/synchros that are the problem, then that's a waste of time and energy and more importantly, money.

Any thoughts?

I would defintely try to get the problem to stop with some good mounts, before suspecting transmission problems. If your engine is flopping around you need to take care of that, regardless of any other problem there may be. And if your lucky it will take care of your problem. ;)

Yo man, there is nothing wrong with your transmission. You need to add transmission fluid to your tranny. because your 5th gear sits highest in your tranny housing it is the first to experience problems when you are low on transmission fluid. I had the same problem with my car and it would not stay in 5th gear but was fine with all other gears, i checked the tranny fluid and problem solved.

Back