Transmission Noise

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

illmatik

Ok out of my luck today in school I left my lights on and my battery went dead, i decided to push start it and it didnt work. so after like 3 trys some one came with jumper cables and turned it on. but after i started driving it, its been making some weird noises from the transmission.
When its in gear especially first it makes a noticable sound which is kinda high pitch, and as the revs go up the louder and faster it gets its like a spinning noise. well anyways when its in gear and i press on the clutch it keeps making the noise but as soon as i pull it out of gear it stops. any idea what it is? could i have damaged the transmission by trying to start it on a roll? the clutch still grabs hard but it just makes this weird noise. any solutions??

How about some details about your car? Year, mods, mileage on the tranny, mileage on the clutch etc... And how's your tranny fluid level and is it clean? Popping the clutch to get the car started shouldn't be that hard on a car's system, although I find it interesting that you couldn't start your car in this manner. What gear did you put it in? I think that putting it into a higher gear is gentler on a car's systems though.

Originally posted by 94RedSiGal@Sep 19 2004, 10:31 PM
How about some details about your car? Year, mods, mileage on the tranny, mileage on the clutch etc... And how's your tranny fluid level and is it clean? Popping the clutch to get the car started shouldn't be that hard on a car's system, although I find it interesting that you couldn't start your car in this manner. What gear did you put it in? I think that putting it into a higher gear is gentler on a car's systems though.
[post=392261]Quoted post[/post]​

i have a 92 Civic Hatchback DX, with a 99 B18C1 Swap with about 60k miles on it, I changed the tranny fluid a few weeks ago, clutch is about 10k miles. its been grinding a little bit going to first it, when I hold the shifter I can feel it shifting if you know what im saying, in every gear you can hear the sound it definitely sounds like something is spinning, maybe a bearing, not sure but as the rmps go up the spinning gets faster and louder. any more things needed?

Probably an input shaft bearing, but it should stop making the noise in gear with the clutch in. Under those conditions, nothing inside the tranny is spinning, so if it was a tranny bearing, it should stop.

Back