Transmission or Clutch/Flywheel?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

phunky.buddha

Mad scientist
VIP
Input shaft on the transmission?
Axle?

If the engine runs fine, it's definitely something from the flywheel on back.

Quoted post[/post]]
Input shaft on the transmission?
Axle?

If the engine runs fine, it's definitely something from the flywheel on back.
Yea i'd check axles first too, it only needs to pop out a little bit to not work.
If it's not that, i would guess you shattered your clutch disc, i blew my tranny but i NEVER lost all gears at the same time, only when the clutch broke.

If it isnt the axles try taking your clutch cable out and inspecting it. On my brother starlet the clutch pedal felt like mush as well and we took the cable out and it was stretched inside the cable housing it was also starting to fray. Might me another thing to check out before dropping the transmission.

It's the axles bro, Im pretty sure it is anyway.

My car did the same, heard a POP, then a slight grind and it would move after that.

Pulled it apart, adn it had sheared the very end splines off.

Quoted post[/post]]
Hmm. I didn't check the axles, I'll do that if it's not raining tomorrow. How do I check the input shaft? What am I looking for?

You would have to separate the engine and the transmission, then check the shaft going from the clutch disc on in to the transmission. Make sure all the splines are there.

Quoted post[/post]]
Ok, so I've been hearing that it's fairly commong for clutch discs to break on built motors. I guesstimate my Z6 to be around the 125whp mark. That's more than stock but that shouldn't need a stage one style clutch, should it?

Nah. Unless you installed something incorrectly, the stock clutch disc should be fine. Quite a few people are pushing well over 200whp on the stock flywheel without running into any problems at all.

Quoted post[/post]]
On the hub side or the tranny side?

I haven't been able to look at it yet, thanks to the weather and my friend's schedule...the car's at his house. I'm sure it'll be fairly obvious once I pull them out, but I just want to be armed with as much as possible before I go over there tomorrow since my friend doesn't believe in using computers or the internet.

If you installed the axles incorrectly (not seated all the way), they could easily pop out and give you trouble. If they pop out just a little bit, you could damage the splines- so make sure you check that first. Before you start pulling things apart, you could just jack the car up and try to ram the axles back into place, or wiggle them in and out (try to anyway) to see if they're seated all the way in the transmission. If not, ram them back in, and if that doesn't work, just take it all apart like you're going to replace the axles and then make sure they're seated. It doesn't take very long.

what happens when you put the car in say, 5th and let off the clutch?

How does the clutch pedal feel?

Look under the car to see if the axles came out of the transmission

Its ok that you reused the bearing, and no you shouldnt need an aftermarket clutch, at MOST it will slip at HIGH rpms if you're making too much power. 125 is not enough though

Does the shifter go in every gear?

Leaking Tranny fluid from seals (possible sign axles are not seated)
Did they pop into place (C clip fully seated)

Check those things and take pics if you find strange stuff

If you weren't in norcal, I'd come help you out. My vote goes to the axles being messed up...

Quoted post[/post]]
On the hub side or the tranny side?

I haven't been able to look at it yet, thanks to the weather and my friend's schedule...the car's at his house. I'm sure it'll be fairly obvious once I pull them out, but I just want to be armed with as much as possible before I go over there tomorrow since my friend doesn't believe in using computers or the internet.

Tranny side.

Quoted post[/post]]
That'd be dope.

I remember someone posting about their axle popping out every few miles, about a year ago, but I can't find it. What might cause that, I mean other than the obvious not being seated all the way? What would cause an axle from seating properly? The fuckers were hard as hell to get in, way harder than it was changing an axle on my woman's DX hatchie. I actually had to use a BFH dead blow to get them in. I double checked the part numbers with AutoZone, too. Just curious so I can already be armed with the info before I get over there.
What would cause it? Main thing is worn mounts. This has happened to me in 2 different cars. My Nissan Altima and my Integra (2 occasions). Replaced the mounts in the altima as well as the axle, it was fine. Replaced the axle in my Integra the first time, it was fine. Then after my auto-manual it happened again, replaced axle and installed mymount inserts and all was fine.

Make sure when you install it, you hear the little c-clip snap into place (or is it called a snap clip/ring)

Good Luck...

Of couse I can't say for sure what you have going on, but I do know one thing having 3/4 of the clutch pedal's travel being free is a bad thing and has nothing to do with axles being out. Check out the simple things first, but I can't help but feel that you have a bad clutch. Hope not for your sake.

Well, maybe it's as simple as one of the stays for the clutch cable coming out of place and putting too much slack in it, or the sleeving around the clutch cable broke. You never know.

Quoted post[/post]]
Well, maybe it's as simple as one of the stays for the clutch cable coming out of place and putting too much slack in it, or the sleeving around the clutch cable broke. You never know.
Yeah, definitely check that before pulling the trans. Regardless, there is a problem with the clutch system that repositioning axles will never take care of.

Same thing happened to me, a pop, then no go. I removed the axle, opened up the boot, and sprayed brake cleaner into it, sloshed it around, and dumped out a bunch of parts. I cleaned em up and put em in a baggie for a trophie. Cage was broken into about 15 pieces. I'll post a pic if I can find em :p

Quoted post[/post]]
'Twas the driver's side axle. AutoZone gave me the wrong one, it sounded like it seated but it wouldn't physically fit all the way in. So I exchanged it but I forgot to check for length, it was exactly 1 5/8" too short. I made it to the end of the driveway before it popped out. So I said "fuck it" and just put the old one back in for right now. Seems to run fine now.

Thanks for all of your help, guys. :thumbsup:

Awesome. I'm glad you found the problem!

Back