1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transmission or Clutch/Flywheel?

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by phunky.buddha, Apr 8, 2006.

1. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

Input shaft on the transmission?
    Axle?

If the engine runs fine, it's definitely something from the flywheel on back.

2. VTECin5th

VTECin5th Administrator

Yea i'd check axles first too, it only needs to pop out a little bit to not work.
    If it's not that, i would guess you shattered your clutch disc, i blew my tranny but i NEVER lost all gears at the same time, only when the clutch broke.

3. Drake

Drake Well-Known Member VIP

If it isnt the axles try taking your clutch cable out and inspecting it. On my brother starlet the clutch pedal felt like mush as well and we took the cable out and it was stretched inside the cable housing it was also starting to fray. Might me another thing to check out before dropping the transmission.

4. brian11to1

brian11to1 Senior Member

It's the axles bro, Im pretty sure it is anyway.

My car did the same, heard a POP, then a slight grind and it would move after that.

Pulled it apart, adn it had sheared the very end splines off.

5. phunky.buddha

You would have to separate the engine and the transmission, then check the shaft going from the clutch disc on in to the transmission. Make sure all the splines are there.

Nah. Unless you installed something incorrectly, the stock clutch disc should be fine. Quite a few people are pushing well over 200whp on the stock flywheel without running into any problems at all.

If you installed the axles incorrectly (not seated all the way), they could easily pop out and give you trouble. If they pop out just a little bit, you could damage the splines- so make sure you check that first. Before you start pulling things apart, you could just jack the car up and try to ram the axles back into place, or wiggle them in and out (try to anyway) to see if they're seated all the way in the transmission. If not, ram them back in, and if that doesn't work, just take it all apart like you're going to replace the axles and then make sure they're seated. It doesn't take very long.

6. 94CivicSlow

94CivicSlow Senior Member

what happens when you put the car in say, 5th and let off the clutch?

How does the clutch pedal feel?

Look under the car to see if the axles came out of the transmission

Its ok that you reused the bearing, and no you shouldnt need an aftermarket clutch, at MOST it will slip at HIGH rpms if you're making too much power. 125 is not enough though

Does the shifter go in every gear?

Leaking Tranny fluid from seals (possible sign axles are not seated)
    Did they pop into place (C clip fully seated)

Check those things and take pics if you find strange stuff

7. MikeBergy

MikeBergy Blah blah blah....

If you weren't in norcal, I'd come help you out. My vote goes to the axles being messed up...

8. brian11to1

brian11to1 Senior Member

Tranny side.

What would cause it? Main thing is worn mounts. This has happened to me in 2 different cars. My Nissan Altima and my Integra (2 occasions). Replaced the mounts in the altima as well as the axle, it was fine. Replaced the axle in my Integra the first time, it was fine. Then after my auto-manual it happened again, replaced axle and installed mymount inserts and all was fine.

Make sure when you install it, you hear the little c-clip snap into place (or is it called a snap clip/ring)

Good Luck...

9. GSRCIVICTN

GSRCIVICTN Lost in a sea of rednecks

Of couse I can't say for sure what you have going on, but I do know one thing having 3/4 of the clutch pedal's travel being free is a bad thing and has nothing to do with axles being out. Check out the simple things first, but I can't help but feel that you have a bad clutch. Hope not for your sake.

10. phunky.buddha

Well, maybe it's as simple as one of the stays for the clutch cable coming out of place and putting too much slack in it, or the sleeving around the clutch cable broke. You never know.

11. GSRCIVICTN

GSRCIVICTN Lost in a sea of rednecks

Yeah, definitely check that before pulling the trans. Regardless, there is a problem with the clutch system that repositioning axles will never take care of.

12. brian11to1

brian11to1 Senior Member

haahaa, axle +1 for me

13. phyregod

phyregod !!YTINASNI

Same thing happened to me, a pop, then no go. I removed the axle, opened up the boot, and sprayed brake cleaner into it, sloshed it around, and dumped out a bunch of parts. I cleaned em up and put em in a baggie for a trophie. Cage was broken into about 15 pieces. I'll post a pic if I can find em :p

14. phunky.buddha

Awesome. I'm glad you found the problem!

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted