Transmission Problems With Skunk2 Short Shifter

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

MaaseyRacer

I have an 89 Civic DX hatchback, with 109k on the motor. So far I have a homemade CAI, MPFI swap, and a skunk2 short shifter as my only motor mods. I plan to have my swap ready next winter, but that is still some time away. My problem is that my transmission is starting to make some noise, and it has only started to act up since the skunk2 short shifter. I really do not beat on the car, except when I Auto-X which has only been once, and it was before the short shifter. It seems that when I shift into 3rd gear, that the gear does not completely go in all the way, only about half the time does it go in all the way it seems. I have played around with the tightness of the linkage bolts to see if that would help, it did a little but there is still some sort of vibration noise in the actual shifter or shift linkage, not the transmission as the noise can be made while the car is off, granted it is not as loud or as rapid. So I guess I am just wondering if anyone has had a similar problem, or any solution short or transmission rebuild or anything.
Thanks

It could be hitting the exhaust...........Or you may not have greased it and now it is making metal to metal sounds. It is hard to say without being there. If it was the tranny, change the gear oil, and it will stop. If it pops out of gear this is a symptom of bad or low gear oil.

Originally posted by gocivicls@Dec 5 2003, 03:02 PM
It could be hitting the exhaust...........Or you may not have greased it and now it is making metal to metal sounds. It is hard to say without being there. If it was the tranny, change the gear oil, and it will stop. If it pops out of gear this is a symptom of bad or low gear oil.

It has cleared the exaust, I changed the transmission fluid 2 weeks ago. I think I will regrease the shifter and linkage and see if that helps out at all.

Back