transmission problems

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

davets

just bought a 91 civic hatch, base model with the 1.5litre 4 spd manual

now the car runs great, has a new clutch, shifts great, starts etc but when in gear and applying gas there is a gut wrenching grinding type noise, it goes away slightly when cruising at highway speeds. also the same noise but in an intensified version happens when down shifting. when letting out the clutch it grinds and grinds until it is in the out position, but it doesnt do this when up shifting.

like i said before it shifts great, drives great- which lets me belive that its not a cv joint

my dad said it could possibly be the rack and pinion something or another in the differential, in which case he said i should just say screw it and save for a new tranny, preferrably a 5 speed- as i got the car for $350 and am going to use it soley for transportation i am looking for the cheapest answer

any help/ questions?

Quoted post[/post]]
just bought a 91 civic hatch, base model with the 1.5litre 4 spd manual

now the car runs great, has a new clutch, shifts great, starts etc but when in gear and applying gas there is a gut wrenching grinding type noise, it goes away slightly when cruising at highway speeds. also the same noise but in an intensified version happens when down shifting. when letting out the clutch it grinds and grinds until it is in the out position, but it doesnt do this when up shifting.

like i said before it shifts great, drives great- which lets me belive that its not a cv joint

my dad said it could possibly be the rack and pinion something or another in the differential, in which case he said i should just say screw it and save for a new tranny, preferrably a 5 speed- as i got the car for $350 and am going to use it soley for transportation i am looking for the cheapest answer

any help/ questions?

if it has a new clutch your bearings should have been changed also so we can sratch those two. best bet would be to look into purchasing a tranny

have you checked the fluid levels in the tranny, i know it may sound dumb, but sometimes its the little things. if not, then i would say its in the gearing itself. to be honest, you could better gas miliage out of a 5 speed and better acceleration, i'd say save, there are so many d series transmissions for sell. good luck bud.

yea those are basically the conclusion i have come to myself

my questions are, where/how much are d series transmission?
and how much work is it to swap a tranny?

thanks

a tranny swap is fairly easy, just time consuming, maybe less if you have a helper. i took mine out and put back in with in an hour, but that was with help and on a lift which i have acceses to. i'd say 2-3hours on a driveway 2 with help.

a used tranny, i'd say around $150-300 depending on miles and condition and type of tranny(i.e. si, dx, etc...)

Quoted post[/post]]
a tranny swap is fairly easy, just time consuming, maybe less if you have a helper. i took mine out and put back in with in an hour, but that was with help and on a lift which i have acceses to. i'd say 2-3hours on a driveway 2 with help.

a used tranny, i'd say around $150-300 depending on miles and condition and type of tranny(i.e. si, dx, etc...)

sounds good, ill probably go with that route

i jsut got the car back from the shop and they said it was the tranny and that it will go at any time, so now i have to decided- new tranny? or new car?

the only reason i bought this car was for transportation to and from work as im poor and didnt have very much money readily avaiable. and my hope was to have this for a few weeks until i have some mroe money saved and buy a decent car where at least i can get a few thousand miles out of it

SO i ask you guys- do the transmission thing? i have the tools (lift, etc) but ive never swapped a tranny
or
just drive it into the ground knowing it might die tomorrow and save for a enw car?

do the tranny thing, spend a few $$$ and know confidently that it will last as long as you need it to buy yourself an even better car. just a though.

if you go to a wrecking yard you can find a trannt for 50- 75 bucks fro a u-pull. and as for swaping it get a manual and your good to go

Quoted post[/post]]
if you go to a wrecking yard you can find a trannt for 50- 75 bucks fro a u-pull. and as for swaping it get a manual and your good to go

haha i have a 4 speed manual, pos gearing too

anywho, im going to the junk yard tomorrow as i need to get the left door plastic speaker housing/mount (the one that connects the speaker to the door) so im gonna talk to them about what they might have there to buy

and yea im just gonna get a new tranny and put it in, that way like mentioned before Im able to rely on it rather then buy a new car and have to fix more shit

thanks guys

I have a 91 DX transmission that will bolt right up. I'll sell it to you for headacheofpackingitfee+shipping..

30+ shipping if interested. You can use the same axles and everything. I'd like to get it out of the shop.

Problem solved. :mrgreen:

PM me if interested. And I have alot of feedback on ebay under the username "phyregod"

Back