transmission question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

shortbusrebel07

hey guys, i have a quick transmission question. i have a B16A1 in my 89 hatch, and it has a J1 tranny mounted to it. i know the J1 is rare, and has hella short gear ratios, but does it have LSD ? and why is it rare ?

If you want to check if its LSD, look thru the differential, if you can see straight through its LSD, if theres a bar blocking it you DONT have LSD.

i thought it was the other way around??? or am i a fucktard??

Originally posted by Smonkeyboy@Mar 7 2004, 04:07 PM
i thought it was the other way around??? or am i a fucktard??

:whatafucktard: j/p

But yea, if you look thru you have it, if theres a bar you dont have it.

is this swap already done, or still sitting in the garage?
yea if its done rev it up to like 4500 and dump the clutch--if it doesnt spin just chirps a lil it prolly has LSD. if it spins it dosent.(saves you some time of taking it apart and looking through differential) it its still waiting to be installed do what they say above.

Originally posted by cycloneb18c3@Mar 7 2004, 10:02 PM
is this swap already done, or still sitting in the garage?
yea if its done rev it up to like 4500 and dump the clutch--if it doesnt spin just chirps a lil it prolly has LSD. if it spins it dosent.(saves you some time of taking it apart and looking through differential) it its still waiting to be installed do what they say above.

Dude, that's a good way to break shit.

yeah, or just do a small burnout, and if theres two stripes then you have an LSD, plus its also stamped on the tranny somewhere.

Originally posted by Smonkeyboy@Mar 8 2004, 12:49 AM
plus its also stamped on the tranny somewhere.

this is what i wanted to know, swap is already in the car, so i didnt really want to pull out my transmission. anyone know why they are considered "rare" ?

dumping at 4500 dont break stuff. i do it all the time. I am assuming they are rare cuz honda didnt make a lot of them?

yea 4500 isnt gonna break anything on my car. how else can you really get a burn out started? I guess that tranny is rare because honda didnt make alot of them.

if your scared of breaking something do it in dirt and see what it does- 1 wheel or 2.

my friends ITR w/lsd he would launch at 4500 and just chirp the tires a lil. its fun as hell cause you get such a jump on who ever your racing(unless they have lsd) they are sitting there spinnin and ur gone.

Back