1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

transmission question?

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by smooth_criminal, Aug 6, 2004.

1. smooth_criminal

smooth_criminal Senior Member

should the spine/shaft on a transmission spin freely and countinuesly, Or should it lock up and then start spinning again?

Also can i take off the rear housing without anything falling out just to make sure everything looks cool? if so when putting it back together does it need any type of sealent?

2. B16

B16 Super Moderator VIP

i don't understand the first part of your question

second part... no, only do that with the transmission out of the car, and use a helms so you know what your'e doing.

third part... i think so, i dont have my helms and i've never opened the tranny case. get a helms :)

3. smooth_criminal

Well the tranny is out of the car right now. And i have a honda shop manual i just need to print it out. It;s 1600 pages!!!!!

The first part let me explain it better.
    The spine that plug into the motor though the clutch/plate. When i turn it by hand it will spin about 2 times then lock up. If i turn it 1/2 turn the other way and then start going forward again it turns a few times then locks up again. I just don't know if this is normal or if it should spinn not stop without locking up.

4. B16

B16 Super Moderator VIP

hmm... not sure, never tried. i would imagine it would spin?

5. smooth_criminal

6. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

not sure either...
    but when you put it back together, seal it with caulk

7. Rguenthner

Rguenthner Junior Member

Sorry for the late reply, hopefully by now you already have your answer. When I swapped the tranny on my CRX I was able to spin the input shaft on both trannies freely, and in any gear without much effort.

8. cheese9988

cheese9988 Senior Member VIP

Same here when I had my `88 si tranny out of the car it spun freely when in nuetral. If I put it in gear and put axels on it I could watch them spin. If thats the answer you were looking for? I can't see why that would make a difference either way, if that was your engine spinning the splines and the tranny locked up and think you would here something break.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted