transmission question?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

smooth_criminal

should the spine/shaft on a transmission spin freely and countinuesly, Or should it lock up and then start spinning again?

Also can i take off the rear housing without anything falling out just to make sure everything looks cool? if so when putting it back together does it need any type of sealent?

i don't understand the first part of your question

second part... no, only do that with the transmission out of the car, and use a helms so you know what your'e doing.

third part... i think so, i dont have my helms and i've never opened the tranny case. get a helms :)

Well the tranny is out of the car right now. And i have a honda shop manual i just need to print it out. It;s 1600 pages!!!!!

The first part let me explain it better.
The spine that plug into the motor though the clutch/plate. When i turn it by hand it will spin about 2 times then lock up. If i turn it 1/2 turn the other way and then start going forward again it turns a few times then locks up again. I just don't know if this is normal or if it should spinn not stop without locking up.

hmm... not sure, never tried. i would imagine it would spin?

Sorry for the late reply, hopefully by now you already have your answer. When I swapped the tranny on my CRX I was able to spin the input shaft on both trannies freely, and in any gear without much effort.

Same here when I had my `88 si tranny out of the car it spun freely when in nuetral. If I put it in gear and put axels on it I could watch them spin. If thats the answer you were looking for? I can't see why that would make a difference either way, if that was your engine spinning the splines and the tranny locked up and think you would here something break.

Back