transmission wont shift

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jeremiah

1993 Honda Accord, just bought it 2 weeks ago drove fine. Was on highway and car down shifted on its own. Got it home and changed cars and went to zoo. When I got back about 4 hrs. later I drove it and it on highway about 10 miles it shifted fine, when i stopped and turned around ti would not shift at all. The D4 was bit blinking, i checked codes and got 1,2 and 8. This says none of the solenoids are working. Im not a transmission expert, but i dont think all would go bad at same time. How do i test TCM? Would appreciate any help. Thank you

One thing you could do just to verify if the solenoids are capable of working or not is use a set of jumper wires (test leads, preferrably with an in-line fuse holder) to supply 12volts to each of the solenoids to see if they will "click" on or not. If they do then you will know for sure that they are capable of working.

I just used a google search on how to make a fused jumper wire and it is very easy. You can get all the parts at home depot if you like (except for the fuse holder), basically just household wire (16gauge) and alligator clips, and an in-line fuse holder from an auto parts store.

Sorry, I can't help with testing the ECU since I have never done that.

Make me wonder if it is something to do with the fact that the transmission and/or solenoids get warm and stop working correctly.

I say this b/c OP says it ran fine after it sat a while.

wow, im surprised no one actaully chimed in with the answer. So the actual issue is the TCU (transmission control unit). it is one of the biggest fails of the automatic accords. You need to get a new TCU, that is what was wrong with one of my old accords, but i recommend to do the shift solenoids as well, reason being is when i did my TCU i replaced both of my shift solenoids as well, and i never had a problem with it since, well the engine blew from irrevlevant reasons, but never had an issue with the transmission ever again.

good luck

Back