Transparent aluminum

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Old news, actually. Transparent aluminum has been around for about 4 years.

And personally, not only would I dig a transparent engine, but the plastic engine models they sell at KB will only cost me about 20 hp loss :)

-> Steve

i'd buy one-

that way you can see your broken rod, spun bearing, or whatever without taking shit apart to diagnoss

no you coundn't really see though because it would de a glass engine so it would only work with sleves and be super fragile

Originally posted by hcivic.com@Aug 23 2004, 02:51 PM
no you coundn't really see though because it would de a glass engine so it would only work with sleves and be super fragile
[post=380599]Quoted post[/post]​

Huh? It's aluminum that's see-through... it's not the same kind of glass that you would use for a conventional window. Well, maybe if you wanted to transport a pair of humpback whales four centuries into the future, but that's a totally different story.

:lol:

Originally posted by Battle Pope@Aug 23 2004, 04:13 PM
^^^

YES! STAR TREK REFERENCE! W00T! :ph34r:
[post=380641]Quoted post[/post]​

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :secret:

mars.jpg

all the oil spray in the egine would block you veiw anyways.....

Very true- but you could fire up the engine, pop the hood, and make all the dimwits at your local car meet go "wow".

Originally posted by Battle Pope@Aug 23 2004, 01:13 PM
^^^

YES! STAR TREK REFERENCE! W00T! :ph34r:
[post=380641]Quoted post[/post]​

That's exactly what I thought of when I read it.

Scotty: Hello computer?

Engineer: Just use the keyboard!

Scotty: How quaint... (cracks knuckles and proceeds to type 150 wpm imputting molecular code of transmarent aluminum)

Star Trek 4 was the best one... EvAr.

Originally posted by Calesta@Aug 24 2004, 04:07 PM
I don't know about THE best, but it was definitely one of the best ones.
[post=381116]Quoted post[/post]​

I remember the Whale saving movie...... :lol:

Originally posted by SiR Kid@Aug 24 2004, 04:30 AM
Scotty: Hello computer?

Engineer: Just use the keyboard!

Scotty: How quaint... (cracks knuckles and proceeds to type 150 wpm imputting molecular code of transmarent aluminum)

Star Trek 4 was the best one... EvAr.
[post=380910]Quoted post[/post]​

Wrath of Khan ownz all.

And let's just pretend that Trek V never ever existed

hmm see through? so i guess you could use these as windows on your car and make it that much harder for thieves to get your goods...

Originally posted by Sabz5150+Aug 26 2004, 07:29 PM-->
Wrath of Khan ownz all.

And let's just pretend that Trek V never ever existed
[post=382419]Quoted post[/post]​

:werd:

II rawked, V sucked. I hope Shatner never tries to direct anything again.

mattcalica
@Aug 26 2004, 11:45 PM
hmm see through? so i guess you could use these as windows on your car and make it that much harder for thieves to get your goods...
[post=382524]Quoted post[/post]​

Or for bulletproof windows that aren't 1.5 inches thick.

so this transparent alluminum actually has metallic properties? from the article it kinda sounded like it had glass-like properties. and i know that just because something contains an element doesnt mean that it will retain the same properties of it when its in its elemental form. things change drastically when combined with other things.

Originally posted by GSRCRXsi+Aug 27 2004, 02:54 PM-->
so this transparent alluminum actually has metallic properties? from the article it kinda sounded like it had glass-like properties. and i know that just because something contains an element doesnt mean that it will retain the same properties of it when its in its elemental form. things change drastically when combined with other things.
[post=382799]Quoted post[/post]​

It said somewhere in there that they had optical quality transparent aluminum alloy with 95% the strength of normal non-transparent stuff. I'd say that's pretty solid. You almost never use Aluminum for construction in its elemental form anyway. Most structural metals are alloyed with something to give better hardness / strength properties than just a pure element.

pheonixb16aguy
@Aug 27 2004, 07:18 PM
i thought it would be cool to have a intake manifold made of this stuff, and a clear intake .. that way you can really see when your filter is robbing you of h.p. :rally:
[post=382864]Quoted post[/post]​

Well, I doubt you would be able to see the airflow difference in your intake manifold- air is transparent too.

Back