Treadmill--uhhggg

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Other than the advice NOT to purchase the treadmill, you were just given the second best piece of advice that you'll receive about this situation.

Apply the money that you would spend for a treadmill to a gym membership. If there's any push back that the gym is too far or that it's not as convenient as having a treadmill in the house, do you think that's the sort of commitment to health that she's going to need to have to see results and motivate her to use the treadmill for an extended period of time?

If people can't be bothered to leave the house to exercise, then exercise simply isn't going to be that big of priority to them. If it's not a priority, then you're just wasting your money.

I understand that decisions aren't always rationale but consider the dicks fiasco as a blessing in disguise. Hopefully this will blow over before Black Friday and you won't have to foot the bill.

While I agree with the main point, I'll chime in with my experience for exercising and the elusive treadmill at home.

I work long hours. Especially in the dead of the winter. I workout on my lunch everyday for about 1.5 hours. I usually lift weights and do calisthenics during this time.

I try to get in a couple runs a week but with the rain/dark weather it is pretty hard to. The gym is tough to get to at 6pm when you're getting done with the long day. I guarantee if I had a treadmill at home I'd do cardio at least 3 days a week plus my usual weekend sessions.(Always a good view, no what I'm saying).

Years ago for one summer, I had some heavy weights at home in the garage and I lifted every at least 5 days a week. Sucked not having a spotter most of the time, but I didn't miss many lifts.

But in before clothes rack.

While I agree with the main point, I'll chime in with my experience for exercising and the elusive treadmill at home.

I work long hours. Especially in the dead of the winter. I workout on my lunch everyday for about 1.5 hours. I usually lift weights and do calisthenics during this time.

I try to get in a couple runs a week but with the rain/dark weather it is pretty hard to. The gym is tough to get to at 6pm when you're getting done with the long day. I guarantee if I had a treadmill at home I'd do cardio at least 3 days a week plus my usual weekend sessions.(Always a good view, no what I'm saying).

Years ago for one summer, I had some heavy weights at home in the garage and I lifted every at least 5 days a week. Sucked not having a spotter most of the time, but I didn't miss many lifts.

Any Snap Fitness or another 24/7 - or nearly 24/7 - gym that is local to you?

The $40/mo membership there is much more useful.

But in this situation, you are already in fitness mode. Jumping into getting a treadmill to start your fitness regiment is a bad idea, IMO, and it will only lead to
6a00e554f403b68834010535eca804970b-500wi.jpg

no one is "jumping" into fitness...my wife was a swimmer and did triahtlons/5ks/10k's up until last year before her back really started bothering her....she works out about 2-4 times a week and I am about the same... but i only do weights.

We've both had gym memberships before...no thanks....

We both like working out in the comfort of our own homes. I've always worked out at home with good results

i've been in Fresno all week for work but i actually used the treadmill at the Courtyard everyday so far ....over 15 miles this week. 12-15 Incline 3-3.5 miles per hour..ran twice on Tuseday...got up 5am did over 2 miles....then after work..did another 3+ miles...

i listen to my audiobooks and the time just flies

3352.jpg

Any Snap Fitness or another 24/7 - or nearly 24/7 - gym that is local to you?

The $40/mo membership there is much more useful.

I'm playing devils advocate. I can see why it appeals to a lot of people.

I have a membership at 24 hour fitness. Locations near work I go to at lunch and near my house(Not walking distance unfortunately). We also have an onsite gym and indoor track at my work.

I leave for work before 6 and get home between 5-6:30 and its tough to want to go back out again, and going on the way home is what I'm currently doing if its bad weather. Just makes for a really long day. That's kind of what I'm getting at. I do hit runs outside somedays when its not raining.

I also wouldn't buy a $1500 piece of equipment. I'm wicked cheap. We're talking take my grandma's from her house or my gf's parent's tread mill. Those are clothes hangers.

Ideally, I'd shorten my day and work through lunch and do crossfit or something else after, but meetings. I got promoted and now I'm in meetings. MEETINGS. MEETINGS ABOUT MEETINGS TO DISCUSS OTHER MEETINGS.

I'll say it again, treadmill + TV. Combine two mindless activities. Watch the same thing everyday while you run. Make it a habit that during the morning show/the news/Oprah/Duck Dynasty you will always be running. You just need to make it a habit that you do no matter what and it won't become a clothes rack. Think of it like a shower in the morning. I do it whether or not a need it. I don't even access the situation of if I need one. I just do it without thinking.

A gym membership doesn't work for me. I've been a member at a local gym since I graduated in 08. Probably haven't been there in 2 years. I consider that $30 a month a "fat tax". If I want to be fat, I lose money every month. Only way a gym ever worked for me is when it was actually on the way home. You either go all the time, or feel like shit when you keep driving past, forcing yourself to go.

Last edited:
Threadjack; I've been going back to the gym for 3+ weeks now at lunch time. Fits perfectly into my schedule as I work from home 4 days a week now. 30m cardio, 30m weights and 5-10m cool down/stretching. I look forward to going as I put on a heavy playlist and get lost for that time frame. Helps reduce stress from work and home and gets me a bit more focused. Once I get my cardio back up to where I want it I'll be looking into xfit / insanity type classes. Goal is to be back at HS weight by middle of May '14. I surpassed that first 5lb. plateau late last week and am hoping to be down 8-10 after this week/1st month.

I will say this, I was pretty careless about fitness post-college. Just didn't make time for it and came to realize that I'm jeopardizing my family by not changing my outlook and attitude. While I'm doing it mostly for myself, having two kids and a very supporting wife makes me work that much harder at the gym. I want to be able to run around with my grandkids one day and tell them stories. I don't want them to be told stories about me because I'm not there...

Gyms are not appealing to me....i wake up at 6am for work and get home around 4pm and then i need to walk the dogs...Last thing i want to do is go back out and drive to the gym only to come home at 6 or 7 and make dinner...by the time you're done you have like 1 hour to relax and unwind and then it's time for bed....

It's much easier having a home gym and just as effective. I wouldn't use 3/4 of the equipment a gym has anyway

Threadjack;
good to hear man.

i'm the lightest I've been since 2003 right now. It's not all about exercise. It's a lot about diet. Eat right and just watch shit fall off you.

Eventually, you will be like me and driving by dunkin donuts and kfc makes me want to vomit at the smell in the air.

...Last thing i want to do is go back out and drive to the gym only to come home at 6 or 7 and make dinner...by the time you're done you have like 1 hour to relax and unwind and then it's time for bed....

I need to go ON my way home from work or else I get lazy/make excuses. That why when I was doing the boot camp, I picked one BEFORE my house so I had to drive by it anyway. 630 class was perfect to leave the office at 530 ish change and get there in time to warm up and roll out. i'd get home at 745. shower, eat a little something with an after shake and relax for a couple hours.

Gyms are not appealing to me....i wake up at 6am for work and get home around 4pm and then i need to walk the dogs...Last thing i want to do is go back out and drive to the gym only to come home at 6 or 7 and make dinner...by the time you're done you have like 1 hour to relax and unwind and then it's time for bed....

It's much easier having a home gym and just as effective. I wouldn't use 3/4 of the equipment a gym has anyway

Yup. With kids/pets you have to worry about what to do with them while you're at the gym. It gets expensive and logistics are a nightmare.

Our gym has a daycare that is included with our membership (of which my wife's company pays 100% of for the family)! :)

See, here's the problem.

Working out is relaxing. People that don't have that mindset and have the mindset that its work, a task, or just not as important as 'me time' or 'relaxing' will fail at their health over the course of a lifetime.

You know what's cool? Feeling good all the time and being healthy.

Yes, I get that you exercise at home - which has the same benefits - but having the outlook that its a time suck and not relaxing is what makes for fitness being a 'phase' in someone's life and not a lifestyle.

I read a good article the other day that pointed out how the non exercising public thinks those that go to the gym, "don't have a life.". They fail to see how people who spend time working out, consider that an enjoyable experience and a big part of their life.

Listen, regardless of where the exercise is performed, if its not fun and its not a priority to you - reassess your quality of life. We were meant to move - not to 'relax' all day. Not moving is depressing.

Our gym has a daycare that is included with our membership (of which my wife's company pays 100% of for the family)! :)

Ours does too- but no company plan for it anymore. The gym payment was as much as a car payment, so it had to go.

Just called the manager at Dicks....they only have 1 epic a42t left...i convinced him to tag it for me and mark it as sold at the black Friday(which starts at 8pm Thursday) price of $1098 for me. Picking it up tomorrow night.

Just called the manager at Dicks....they only have 1 epic a42t left...i convinced him to tag it for me and mark it as sold at the black Friday(which starts at 8pm Thursday) price of $1098 for me. Picking it up tomorrow night.

Congrats.

Sounds like you're going to have to give a happy ending to get your happy ending.

Back