Treadmill--uhhggg

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

199.6! First time under 200lbs in 6 or 7 years..13.8lbs lost since Black Friday

Ultimate Goal is 185.... 14.6 lbs to go.

I'm at 199.2 but i cut down a lot on the cardio a lot and been hitting the weights more. I did however attempt another 5k just now. My first one was 30:51 and todays was 28:38.

I also went to Fleet Feet a couple weeks ago to get my feet analysed. Turns out I overpronate, where the ankle turn inwards as i run. I was running in Asic Gel Nimbus 13 which is a neutral shoe and i needed a Stability shoe. After about 5 pairs i ended up with Asics Gt 2000 V2. Definitely a stiffer landing then the Gel Nimbus but my knee and hip pains are decreasing. $120!!!! But actually less then my Gel Nimbus which i have had for 2 years now.

these are the actual ones

http://www.amazon.com/ASICS-GT-2000...UTF8&qid=1390600405&sr=8-5&keywords=GT2000+V2

51h15AgKDJL.jpg

Turns out if you run a lot you should be getting new sneakers every 5-6 months....good lord that's a lot of money! I usually buy sneakers like every 3-4 years

Think of it as $1 a day. It's dirt cheap. So is being healthy rather than paying doctors' bills.

The life of the shoe depends on the model, terrain you're running on, how hard you run and what sort of mileage you put on them.

It's really mileage that you should be tracking on shoes but its just easier to say to change them every 4 months.

A guy like you with the limited mileage and running indoors can have a decent shoe for a year no problem.

I wish there was still a treadmill in my house. Banging out 30 minutes a day while watching a little TV is nothing. I'm going to have to start doing something. I'm the heaviest I've ever been (~240) and I feel like absolute garbage most days. It amazes me that 5-6 years ago(post college) I was 190 and had a 6 pack.

I wish there was still a treadmill in my house. Banging out 30 minutes a day while watching a little TV is nothing. I'm going to have to start doing something. I'm the heaviest I've ever been (~240) and I feel like absolute garbage most days. It amazes me that 5-6 years ago(post college) I was 190 and had a 6 pack.
Got a set of stairs in your house? I started doing those when I don't have time to drive to the gym and back for cardio.

I prefer the treadmill because you have to put no mental effort in. Get on, turn it on, watch TV. Besides, I fall on the stairs at normal speed.

i managed a straight hour @ 5mph this morning.
half marathon on april 27th that i'm sort of considering if my ankles and knees can keep off the injured reserved roster
OL got me some Brooks Beast for xmas that i've been breaking in
sort of a heavy shoe but they offer the max stability for pronation and came highly recommended so I am giving them a shot
have to mentally focus on keeping my toes pointing in when i run as i normally have them pointing out pretty hard
1859190-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg

Right on.

I'm at 203 as this morning. I've been lifting heavy and haven't been dieting as much as I should so my weight hasn't gone up or down for a while now. Going to introduce more circuit/sprints/cardio into my workouts and start managing my intake for the spring cut. Hopefully hit 180 in a few months and have that elusive six pack.

Going to have to set the bottle down. I love beer so much though.

half marathon on april 27th that i'm sort of considering if my ankles and knees can keep off the injured reserved roster
sort of a heavy shoe but they offer the max stability for pronation and came highly recommended so I am giving them a shot
have to mentally focus on keeping my toes pointing in when i run as i normally have them pointing out pretty hard
1859190-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg

Fleet Feet highly recommended Brooks because the soley make running sneakers and nothing else. Almost all the employees wear them. In fact my Wife bought Brooks Ghost the same day i got my Asics but she actually just returned them on Sunday and ended up in New Balance 890's. She said they just weren't comfortable to run in and she was getting a blister on her toe.

I tried on Brooks Beasts as well but they were not wide enough and they didn't have a 2E so i ended up with the Asics GT 2000 V2's.

1859190-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg

FYI - Toes should be forward or pointed slightly outward - never pointed inward.

When you externally rotate the hip joint, its the strong position possible. It's why you squat driving your knees out. It's also why you turn a screw right tighty. Most of us are right handed and by turning our arm to the outside, we're externally rotated, creating the most stable position and generating the most torque. I'm sure they didn't think of that when threading screws - but they thought of how much easier it is to turn something to the right if you're right handed, then it is to the left.

Overall Brooks are good shoes. Still have to get the right shoe for your foot and for the application. I.e., they have some great minimalist shoes but if all of your running is performed on concrete/asphalt, a minimalist shoe isn't ideal.

FYI - Toes should be forward or pointed slightly outward - never pointed inward.
my toes point outward a bit too far so if i concentrate on pointing them in them my feet are just about straight
really helps keep the movement in the ankle, instead of the knee folding in on itself sideways
did 7.5 miles on saturday, 1.5 hours @ 5 mph.
now i'm going to cut the time back and work on varying the pace to get more speed.

Without seeing a picture it's tough to imagine your gait but it sounds right.

Feet completely forward or slightly out is the way to go. Completely forward can be really tough on the knee, if the knee ever winds up in front of the toes, because of the sheer that is generated in that position.

That's how a lot of people, especially overweight people, wind up with no cartilage/meniscus in the knees.

i will have to try and pay attention to that the next time i run, really dont want to do anymore damage to my knees
but so far its feeling pretty good.
5.58 miles in one hour today, alternating between 5mph and 6mph.
5on/5off, except for 5-15 @ 6mph, and 50-60 @ 6mph. going to have to push it a little further next time.

Back