trials and tribulations of performance

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SpyOneUSN

i dunno bout the rest of you, but im about fed up with my freakin car. everytime i put something on it (perf mods) something gets fucked up. i bought my muffler, sure it was a crappy brand that i wont mention, but it sounded great... for about 4 months. then something inside it broke and it would rattle like a sob at idle. so i had to pay more money to get it fixed. i put my dc sports header on, break a bunch of rusted ass screw that i had to afro engineer back on, then i over torque the bolt on the head stud and twist one of em off FUCK! put the aem v2 on, had to pull that plastic shit off the bottom of the car, broke most of the plastic shit screws so now its zipped tied on there after it got fucked up from draggin at 70mph. and now, i take my car to a shop to install a crower stage 1 cam, skunk 2 gear, and a vafc. they call me back before they put in on the dyno and say that my cam timing is -16 degrees. WTF?? they sed the cam looked warped or some shit ($300 later) so now i have to wait another day and pay more money for them just to put the stock one back on. and by the way, i bought my vafc on ebay for like $250 and come to find out that the reason theyre so cheap is because theyre defective US ones sent back to japan and remanufactured. they said i was lucky that it worked. i see these motherfuckers in the mags that have all their shit all perfect and it just makes me sick. am i the only one that has shitty luck? im just gonna buy a lexus and leave it stock. fuck this shit.

Originally posted by SpyOneUSN@Jul 17 2003, 02:02 PM
sure it was a crappy brand that i wont mention, but it sounded great... for about 4 months. then something inside it broke and it would rattle like a sob at idle.

Well, now you know not to buy shitty stuff for your car.

And, welcome to the world of tuning your car. Nothing EVER goes right. You think it's gonna take 'x' hours? Double it. Think it's gonna go on smoothly? Nope.

i'm not trying to be a dick but it sounds to me like you need to let someone else do the work on your car for you cuz you're breaking everything.

my rule of thumb, "if you don't know what you're doing or you don't have the mechnial skills to get the job done then you should back the fuk up and hand over that wrench".
Also, you pay for what you get. If you buy cheap shit, the quality is going to be pretty poor too.

AGAIN, don't take my reply the wrong way...i'm just writing what a lot of people reading this thread are thinking.

yea well that was when i first got my car and the only exhaust availible was like greddy and dc sports for around $650. i didnt have that money when i was 17. yea you get what you pay for, but its hard to pay $800 for name brand when brand x is $200 and all you got in your pocket is $201.50

yea- thats why it went to a shop this time and its still fuct. but i aint gonna pay someone $100 bucks to install somethin i can do. i like workin on my own shit when its feasable

I got a custom-run exhaust at a muffler shop, they did a 2.25" mandrel-bent pipe with a Dynomax muffler. Sounds great, and I've never had a problem with it rattling. $225 or so.

me and my buddy once told a friend to come over early sunday morning(like 8 )

we said we would have his rear coilovers on and then drive to hardee and get breakfast.

me and matt start to loosen then fork on the drivers side it decided to give a little fight.

we both put some elbow grease on that honky.

five mintue later the fucker snapped and we spent the next 6 hours trying to get the damn bolt out of the lower control arm (it was seized)

never did get my hardees either:(

nothing is ever what it seems

when something is siezed heat it up red hot witha torch quench it with water then try to back it out. its only failed me once and ive done it 4387434 times.

Originally posted by jamiedude@Jul 17 2003, 01:26 PM
me and my buddy once told a friend to come over early sunday morning(like 8 )

we said we would have his rear coilovers on and then drive to hardee and get breakfast.

me and matt start to loosen then fork on the drivers side it decided to give a little fight.

we both put some elbow grease on that honky.

five mintue later the fucker snapped and we spent the next 6 hours trying to get the damn bolt out of the lower control arm (it was seized)

never did get my hardees either:(

nothing is ever what it seems

next time...WD40 that bitch...go get your breakfast, eat it and then try it again...

:werd: Working after eating is the best, but working before eating makes you get the shakes and you tend to hurry shit and break tons of stuff.

You said the magic words...

Cheapass muffler, Crower, and eBay. God knows what's going to come your way with that combination of brand names/parts suppliers.

I vote blame yourself.

Custom Exhaust, GReddy, or Thermal R&D are the ONLY ways to fly IMHO.

For cams, ZEX for the SOHC VTEC, Honda and ZEX for the DOHC VTEC.

When buying electrical parts, ONLY buy first hand unless there is a guarantee written in BLOOD. I learned that the hard way.

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Jul 17 2003, 04:09 PM
And, welcome to the world of tuning your car. Nothing EVER goes right. You think it's gonna take 'x' hours? Double it. Think it's gonna go on smoothly? Nope.

Yeah, at least double the time (might as well triple it).

We put a Vishnu up-pipe on my friends WRX...
Quoted time from their instructions: about 4 hours.
Length of time it took us: 12 hours
Edit: 4 people working on car (One installed a FMIC, injectors and a bigger turbo on his WRX by himself)

My Mini-me swap...
Quoted time from various sources: 4-5 hours (for your first time). "Ok, I can deal with that"
Length of time it took me (by myself): 22 hours (started first time!! No smoke or CE lights!!!)

I've seen some VTEC controllers on Ebay for $280. That's way too cheap in my mind (great price though). If something looks too good to be true, it is. (Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will.)

dude you can't tell me about shit going wrong... it happens to me all of the time, i rebuilt my tranny, BAM shifter cable breaks, fix shifter cable, BAM pressure plate collapses (ACT) yada yada yada... you have it easy as far as i'm concerned ;)

If ANYONE should be pissed about their car breaking, I am that man.

I've driven my car MAYBE 3 months of the last 3 years. Ask B. He's heard about every time it broke, and knows my recover time... I usually replace 5-10 inadequite parts along with whatever broke each time something happens, so it's the cost of the new parts that kills me. ;)

lol, yeah- I've known jody online since... 99?? probably around then... He was driving the civic, nearly freshly boosted, when suddenly..... lol
that's his story to tell.
now he drives a stang, and the civic sits in pieces. :)

Originally posted by BlackJDMdeath@Jul 18 2003, 12:08 AM
it happens to me all of the time, i rebuilt my tranny, BAM shifter cable breaks, fix shifter cable, BAM pressure plate collapses (ACT)

Hahaha, that's so true. You get through fixing something, and you suddenly realize you now have three more projects. :lol:

Well to add to this, I only once let someone do work on my car, it was a motor swap back in the day. Well it took the fuck 1 month and this was my daily while I was a freshman in college and when I got it back it was runny shitty, CEL's, wrong axles.

So from that day I decided fuck others, if I want something done right I can only really count on myself.

I just finished helping my buddy put his 3rd built ITR motor into his R. Why his third well he keeps letting other fucks do shitty work and the car still can't break 13's on motor with over 60+K including the car into his fucktard project.

Oh, we did his coilovers yesterday in roughly 30 minutes :) but his rear motor mount took 4 hours,,,LOL

But you guys are correct, expect the unexpected and make sure you are able to devote more time, like double.

Milan

oh god i had to replace a rear motor mount on the zc.

i feel for ya. cant see shit dropping the one socket you need. your working with a socket wrench extension thats as long as the cat on the ground next to ya.

oh yeah fun times

and the coil overs i mentioned earlier, i used pb on that bastard all damn day man it was about as movable as a fat football fan on sunday dude, it wont going anywhere so i had to drill it.

Back