trick start...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

MrTokai

hey...any of you guys know how to rig up the starter so that you have to push a button while turning the key for the car to start?

don't get me wrong, i don't want one of those ricey push button starts!! :puke2:

what i was thinking was since my cruise button is not in use i could use it as sort of a toggle switch connected to the starter...

well...hope that makes sense to someone that can help!!

you take the wire coming form the ignition that activates the starter and chop it, and put a switch in, that way you need to turn the key to complete the circuit but unless the button is pushed it will not start...

cruise is a push on, push off switch...
THIS IS NOT GOOD FOR A STARTER...
you can gut the switch so its just push on, release and it goes off, but if its push on/push off it will keep the starter activated after the motor has fired and is running and this is very very very bad...

gut the switch or go a diffrent route...

is not really hard to do at all...
open the column, grab the ignition wire, cut it, add the switch somewhere, re assemble column.
of course if it is 5spd, you can always push start it.. :ph34r: :ph34r:

i meant gutting the switch....is THAT easier said than done?!

ok first gut a switch is near impossible the parts are glue a bitch to get apart withouit breaking
second run use a realy

an on/off switch such as the cruise shouldn't be that bad for a starter, other than not being able to handle the amperage. Just because that switch is on doesn't mean the starter will be engaged. It just means the UNLESS the switch is on, turning your key to start (which is close the final circuit) wont matter. I drew a diagram below, cuz I was bored, it might clear this fact up. When I said key, I mean the key turned all the way to the START position, not just on.

...........KEY..................TOGGLE (cruise, whatver)
---------/ \-----------------/ \----------- both open, no power, duh

-----------------------------/ \------------ still no power to starter

--------/ \---------------------------------- cruise switch is on, still no power to starter, this is how it would be when you are normally driving around if you leave your cruise switch on.

------------------------------------------------ YAY!!! MOTOR STARTS

Electricity is like water, if you think of wires as plumbing, you'll spend a lot less time worrying about things (thank you Physics teacher in high school, if nothing else I took that away from your class)

Originally posted by hcivic.com@May 23 2005, 05:32 PM
ok first gut a switch is near impossible the parts are glue a bitch to get apart withouit breaking
second run use a realy
[post=502689]Quoted post[/post]​

Did reading that make anyone elses head hurt? Grammar man, it makes the world go 'round.

My car starts with two rockers and a momentary (push-button) switch. The only reason I have a key is to unlock the steering column. What can I say, I got bored two winters ago.

Somewhere around your fuse panel, there is a black wire with a white stripe. Splice some type of switch (toggle, rocker, or momentary) into that wire. Turn your Key to the start position while that switch is on, otherwise the car will not start.

My Source

I'd like to remove the column lock and key hole altogether and replace it with an S2K start button, but that would qualify as rice by default. Not that what I have already done doesn't, but...

yeah wiring that thing up would take maybe an hour if you use a toggle switch, but you will have the steering wheel problem. Now if you use the cruise control switch, id set aside a day just to fix the unforseen stuff. The reason it takes so long is escentially you are setting up a "hot wire" job for your car intentionally. The steering column is designed so that is naturally a difficult task.

Check a Chilton/Helms manual...they can give you the details on what needs to be done to take appart the locking mechanism if you dont wanna use a key at all.

Back