Trojantuning.com - Individual Coil Pack

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

amadeuscr

Hello , Im trying to attach a coil driver to the oem obd1 ECU to have individual coils , any inputs or help is really appreciated ,

Im using an arduino micro controller for now to control separate channels for every coil , d17a2 coils (3wire) and Im thinking to take the ICM signal to know every spark signal and then use either an injector or the CYP sensor to synchronize what cylinder goes next.

here's the link for the post on my forum and a video of the first channel test.

http://www.trojantuning.com/foros/vi...php?f=47&t=707

and the video :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EnMoM56hRc&feature=plcp

What about getting on the DIYautotune.com (megasquirt) and posting..
Ya might get a better 'think tank', but ya never know.

Looks promising.

E

My 2c is your trying to convert a system designed for analog timing to a digital solution.

What is stated below is just my thought process, I've done no research to back up these claims.

I'd imagine this won't be something you can do with an OEM ecu. OBD1 OEM ECUs are designed to work with a mechanical distributor. To my knowledge, the ECU doesn't have any useful way to control timing in the OBD1 version, much less know when to fire the spark plug, or if it fired at all. The distributor rotor is directly connect to the of the cam shaft (via the distributor housing), and that relation determines when a spark will fire. Nothing in the computer has any control over that process.

If I were going to attempt this myself I'd look at some way of using the distributor to run the system. Possibly fabricating some new wires from the existing distributor, and running those through another simple board to allow you to interpret the distributor signal as a new signal for your control unit. The hard part would be regulating the power that's going through that system in a safe way.

I really don't think you're going to find much on this without going third party, and even then, I think you might still have a tough time of getting a good working solution.

Or coming up with a reluctor setup, with the wheel and pickup under the crank pulley (with a machined 'lip' to press on the wheel.

One may have to cut the bottom off the timing/dust cover for the pickup access/wires. That way one could just pop a plug into the end of the head/cam tower where the old dizzy was.

I wonder if the OE coils would over heat or run cooler from more efficient spark energy (since if there is MORE energy on hand, one just HAS TO widen the gap etc..)

I wonder again of the Nology wires being helpful here too?

E

Back