Trucker Protest

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

A report from the Associated Press service:

Calif. Truckers Block Freeways in Protest
The Associated Press

LOS ANGELES- Truckers parked their rigs on a busy freeway Friday, snarling rush-hour traffic for miles in a wildcat protest over high diesel prices.

At about 7:30 a.m., about five tractor-trailers stopped in the northbound lanes of the Golden State Freeway in Commerce, 17 miles southeast of downtown Los Angeles, according to the California Highway Patrol.

"They just sort of slowed traffic down, parked their trucks, and got out," CHP Officer Ricardo Quintero said. "They just took off in a car."

Authorities drove some rigs away and two trucks hauled others out of traffic. Less than an hour later, the lanes were clear, Quintero said.

Several truckers were arrested, he added.

The American Automobile Association said California diesel prices were as high as $2.41 a gallon, compared with less than $2 a gallon in other states.

that shit is crazy..traffic must have been backed up for miles (i dont really know how busy the LA freeway is)

it doesnt sound like a well thought out plan tho...

it may not be a well thought out plan but it is a wide spread plan. It's happening in San Diego and Oakland also.

it is a lot to be paying for diesel though. Big rigs hold about what 35-40 gallons? and I heard get about 6-10 mpg which isn't much at all.

ok just got back and the 405 fwy in BOTH directions is moving at 80mph

truckers dont got the balls nor the resources to pull a stunt like this

Originally posted by NotUrAverage_Si@Apr 30 2004, 01:04 PM
it may not be a well thought out plan but it is a wide spread plan. It's happening in San Diego and Oakland also.

it is a lot to be paying for diesel though. Big rigs hold about what 35-40 gallons? and I heard get about 6-10 mpg which isn't much at all.

Try between 60 and 200 gallons PER TANK. And yeah, they get ~10 MPG while cruising at 70-ish MPH and pulling about 35 lbs. of boost...

Alright, I started work today at 4 am and am actually getting off work around 12 today. If i see one of thos efuckers blocking the freeway, I'm getting out and causing a bigger scene. I live here and that just pisses people like me off. I give them credit for trying to do something, but come one. I think a grander plan in the whole sceme of things could be a lot more effective.

Originally posted by Loco Honkey+Apr 30 2004, 11:12 AM-->
NotUrAverage_Si
@Apr 30 2004, 01:04 PM

Try between 60 and 200 gallons PER TANK. And yeah, they get ~10 MPG while cruising at 70-ish MPH and pulling about 35 lbs. of boost...

:shrug2:

the news was interviewing one of the truckers and she said about 35 gallons so that's what I assumed. Maybe the women didn't know her truck too well.

Originally posted by NotUrAverage_Si+Apr 30 2004, 02:26 PM-->
Originally posted by Loco Honkey@Apr 30 2004, 11:12 AM
NotUrAverage_Si
it may not be a well thought out plan but it is a wide spread plan.  It's happening in San Diego and Oakland also.

it is a lot to be paying for diesel though.  Big rigs hold about what 35-40 gallons?  and I heard get about 6-10 mpg which isn't much at all.

the news was interviewing one of the truckers and she said about 35 gallons so that's what I assumed. Maybe the women didn't know her truck too well.

are you sure it was a woman?

Originally posted by Tonyd0821+Apr 30 2004, 12:27 PM-->
Originally posted by NotUrAverage_Si@Apr 30 2004, 02:26 PM
NotUrAverage_Si
it may not be a well thought out plan but it is a wide spread plan.  It's happening in San Diego and Oakland also.

it is a lot to be paying for diesel though.  Big rigs hold about what 35-40 gallons?  and I heard get about 6-10 mpg which isn't much at all.

yes sir.

Originally posted by Tonyd0821+Apr 30 2004, 02:27 PM-->
Originally posted by NotUrAverage_Si@Apr 30 2004, 02:26 PM
NotUrAverage_Si

lmao

Haven't seen shit about this here in San Diego. Maybe they'll do it in the evening rush hour.

Doesn't matter to me, I'll be at Qualcomm Stadium watching teh drag racing tonight, no freeway for me

if im driving down the road, and see four or five truckers stop in the middle of the road and get out and leave, i'm out of my car tryin to figure out what i can snag from the 'abandoned' trucks.

shit, it said that the cops drove a couplea trucks away? does that mean the keys were left??? SHIIIIITTTTT....im sure you could ebay a semi for at LEAST a couplea grand.

Back