tryin to decide on the right project...1995 2or4 door dx vs 2001 dx coupe

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

DroverDX

Hey, i'm fairly new to this whole swap business, and i'm trying to decide which build would be right for me. Keep in mind that I wont be able to drive either until Feb. of 2010 and that they will be daily driven. I’m trying to decide between picking up a 95 4 door DX (my old car, the one that I lost my licence with. I know the guy that bought her and he will probably sell her back to me.) Or I may pick up a cheap 95 coupeDX...not sure yet. In this car, I would put a 92-95 B18C1 (GSR) full swap purchased from the net. I don’t want to turbo it unless it can be done and still stay economical as a daily driver. Out of that I would be looking for about 200-220+WHP and if possible, increase the redline to 8500+(9000 ideally but this may be optimistic). My other option is to pick up a fairly cheap 01 coupe DX (it has to be DX for insurance reasons...which are that they are through the roof for me.) the motor for this one would be a 2001+ K20-Type R full swap purchased from the net. From this I would be hoping for 250+WHP and a redline of 9500+(10000 ideally if possible). Again I want to stay away from a turbo unless the same parameters can be followed, because I’ve herd of a lot of problems from turbo cars as daily drivers unless they were factory.

Your input would be greatly appreciated, and if there is anything wrong with what I said above feel free to set me straight. In case anyone’s wondering why i’m planning on getting a full swap online (because from what I can see all of you get the motor and everything else at different stages of your build) its because I live in Newfoundland, Canada and up here people aren’t as enthusiastic, well some are but most aren’t, and its harder to get parts and good help. And thanks again for any help that you can give me.

-Chris

out of curiosity why are you trying to increase your redline? just a check.

both are fine choices. the GSR route is easier. swap the GSR, get some new cams, get a decent tune, and youll be good to go.

92-95 would be an easier swap since you are using an obd1 engine and car. From what I have gathered...the k20 is a tough and rather pricey swap. If I were you I would go with the gsr and a 92-95 vehicle.

out of curiosity why are you trying to increase your redline? just a check.

both are fine choices. the GSR route is easier. swap the GSR, get some new cams, get a decent tune, and youll be good to go.

Thanks for the input, thats what i was leaning towards also personally. I would like to increase the redline just simply because i love cars that have high redlines and love the way they sound...not to mention the fact that then i can stay in each gear that much longer

till 2010 damn thats a ways from now. even though the other guys already told you yeah i'd go with the eg with a gsr thats what im trying to get together a k20 would cost u a lot more. check craigslist for egs i got mine a year and a half ago for 1800. i think the four doors are ugly it would be a waste of a good swap. and yeah insurance sucks same reason why i want a swap

This is really a matter of personal opinion, I mean, none of us are going to be driving it. It boils down to...you, do you have to money for either, 01 + K20R = big bucks, by 2010 your car is going to be 15 years old...not too old, but still going to need to be looking at freshing up some old systems...like suspension, bushing, yadda +2. Do you have the mechanical know how, and or patience to learn?

the money is not a big issue cause its gonna be done over a 3-year span, and im gonna be startin my welding career soon. getting a car is not a big deal either they are everywhere. and as for freshing up systems, the motor will be done first, then the body and accessories, then all the suspension and stuff like that last. also about the know how...i really want to learn and this is a good oppertunity to do so seems how i have the time...and if i screw it up i can always bring it to a real mechanic, and i know all the by's at the local honda dealership so i can get info that way.

ok, i have decided on the 95 with the gsr...but i have one more question for now, until i start to build, is it possiable to get a 6speed trany to fit the gsr??

Back