trying to pass SMOG

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

highperboi

my setup is a gsr with p30 pistons and ctr cams, stock header, stock cat and stock intake.

My first test i got....
15mph 25mph
HC = 31, max 89 HC = 18, max 54
CO = 0.01, max .53 CO = 0.04 max .51
NO = 2889, max 708 NO = 705, max 746

Second test i have VAFC with 20 percent more fuel to lower the NO also i put another cat on with less miles.

15mph 25mph
HC = 311, max 89 HC = 316, max 54
CO = 4.62, max .53 CO = 5.90 max .51
NO = 38, max 708 NO = 27, max 746

well i guess 20 percent was to much and maybe the cat wasnt better then my old one? im gonna try 10 percent and im gonna put my other cat back on.

ive already failed twice how many chances do i get??? and im a gross poluter what does that mean and what are the bads about it??? i am planning on passing next but am i in any trouble cause im a gross poluter ?

Go pay your registration at the DMV, and then ask for a temporary month to month card. You then have an entire year to get this resolved as long as you go back each month to get the next month temp card. It is what i am doing right now, although I bet I will pass, I just need to smog my car. lol.

what about your timing and such? it can be something very very simple. i had an MR2 that didnt pass and the person there said i had a crack header. had my dad check it and said it was somethign else and he adjusted it, it passed. my friends legend didnt pass but took off his egr valve and cleaned it and passed. thus, it might be something simple. double check and as the station why its not passing. if all fails, u can find a shop that "grades easier."

my timing is stock i dont got egr and sparkplugs are new. the motor only has like 3000miles on it.

Originally posted by BoogieDown@Jan 11 2005, 12:45 AM
lean it out run hotter spark plugs and see if that helps
[post=443993]Quoted post[/post]​

yeah i think im only gonna run 10 percent more fuel i hope that will work im gonna put it on one of those old smog machines to see if it works.

adding fuel will make it rich not lean, take away what you added the first time then take 5% more. DONT drive for very long when its running lean just enough to pass smog then add more fuel

i needed to add fuel to to lower the nox. but i added to much so i failed hc and co. today i had some free time with a smog machine so i got it alittle better but i need some more time to it jsut right.

How new is the cat on the car. I would not try to lean it out too much as your NOx's are rather high. A new cat might even things out, along with a stock map ECU or a tune with a sniffer will help you out greatly.

go with a new cat, i had the nox problem, faild me everytime, nox is created because your inside engine temp is above 3000 degrees F. and if the cat is worn it wont pick up the nox like it should. good luck

Back