1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tuning a b20 with a safc

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by 97hatch, Jul 12, 2005.

1. 97hatch

97hatch ?

well as it says here is my setup. im runing a b20b and a ls ecu i also have a set of accel 290s my only main cuestion is what type of af/r should i be looking to go for i know that i want it to be about 11.5 with nitrous but what about just regular driving i have a zetronics wideband and t does do data loging rpm/load/afr any help would be great

thanks

2. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

For regular driving you can stay in the low 15s for ratio- up above 50% throttle and in the upper revs is where you need to start looking at getting your fueling into the rich area.

3. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

idel is fine in the 16's... but i wouldn't aim for the 15's even at part throttle... but what do i know... i've only tuned 1 car. lol

4. 97hatch

97hatch ?

lol so what numbers should i be looking for at 50%+

5. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

Slowly ramp your a/f ratio numbers down from stoichiometric through to mid 12s at full throttle. Make it a smooth transition. After you're done tuning without nitrous, turn on the juice and make sure you're able to run just below 12:1.

6. brian11to1

brian11to1 Senior Member

ok, to tune with an safc do you need a wideband, I understand it's going to be a more acurate tune, but do you need a wideband. it is mandatory.

one more question, could you say... borrow someones wideband, tune with it then uninstall it?

7. MikeBergy

MikeBergy Blah blah blah....

For a good tune, yes, a wideband is mandatory, regardless of whether you have a SAFC or standalone.

And yes you can borrow someone's wide band, tune, then uninstall. I'd just go to the dyno though. I assume dyno's hookup a wideband when you pay for the dyno time. I have a wideband though, so I have the tools to effectively tune it without the dyno. But dyno is THE best way to tune.

8. brian11to1

brian11to1 Senior Member

Interested in a road trip to Avondale, AZ? Food, Lodge... all that shit... help me out...

9. sohcslammer

sohcslammer Senior Member

MikeB - do you tune your own shit? If not, where do you go around here??? I'm always looking for good tuners. You live up by Sac right?

10. MikeBergy

I live in San Luis Obispo. I am almost done with my build. 11.5:1 compression, pnp'd LS head, obd0. I'm going to be tuning with a socketed pm6 w/datalogging port, and an Innovate LM-1 WB, RTP with ostrich, tuning with Turboedit. I am just waiting for my pm6 to come back to me, it was throwing a solid CEL when I plugged it in, so I sent it back to be replaced. I'll let you know how my tuning goes. If it goes well, I might consider doing it for some others.

11. MikeBergy

Only if you show me a good time... :p
    But seriously, if I get my car together soon, I'll consider it. Got the whole rest of summer.

12. brian11to1

brian11to1 Senior Member

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted