tuning my car with an A'PEXi V-AFC...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

WYTRICE

hey i'm a new member, but been a honda enthusiast for a few years, i've got a 1998 Honda Civic EX, with a JDM B16A swap and OBD1 conversion...i just put my VTEC AFC in, and although i could spend hours setting this up and tuning it, i just wondered if anyone could be so kind as to give me some advice in setting this up for best quarter mile performance.

it may not sound like i've done a lot to my car, but i've got a half-shot intake, 2.5" cat back, ACT Stage 3 clutch, Kaaz LSD, motor mounts, no AC, no power steering, the basic stuff...i'm hoping to run a high 14 all motor as the car sits, and i know it's possible...i just don't want the money i spent on the VAFC to go to waste, so i'm hoping someone out there in hondaland can help me out

everyone is about to tell you the only way to know for sure is to go to a dyno... which it is... but in the mean time.. i'd suggest adding a little fuel in the high rpm range maybe 5% or so at WOT. for my engine when i dyno tuned it... i ended up adding nearly 20% increase in fuel to hit my target a/f ratio of 13.5:1 or 14:1 in some places
and even now my tune isn't maximized.. another few hours and it could be even better.

the best money you could ever spend on the car is 125 bucks to get an hour of dyno time.

it was for me..

although useless for generating real world performance numbers (accuracy), the g-tech and similar "smart" acceleration meters can produce consistent results (precise).

Anything that gives you precise measurements can be a useful tuning tool. If you can datalog RPM vs G-force or VSS vs g-force, you can have a tool that is far more accurate (i.e. close to reality) and millions of times more precise (reproducible) than the butt dyno.

Back