Tuning Q's

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

drpenguin

Well im going the OBD1 conversion soon. Sol is burning me a chip on top of it. im Also getting a Vafc-2. I was told that the vafc had memory so i could store multipul set ups. I wanted one for when i was out at the track and optimized for the nitrous. One for Daily driving and the most MPG i can get with my setup. Now i have been reading on PGMFI.org but all there walk throughs are for tuning for the most HP. I know its possible to tune for better MPG im just not sure how to go about it. any tips or info are welcome

if you want better mpg, learn to control your right foot. leaning out at crusing speeds might get you a little bit of increase in mpg, but it also creates a lot of heat... and heat is bad... leads to deotnation and lower mpg due to less air molecules... so really, when you're tuned for a solid safe tune, your mpg will be the best for the ebst drivable.

:concur: The secret for good gas mileage is early shifting (low RPMs all the time) and slow acceleration. I can get 42MPG in my protege if i drive like a normal human being, but i can also get 31...both on the highway.

:werd:

I've seen some pretty good mileage in the WRX these days, just by keeping most of my shifts around 2500-3000rpm. Grandmas in their Cutlass Sierra's are blowing my doors off, though. :lol:

Tuning won't help very much.

Do a search on "lean burning engines" on google.

basically if you jack up ignition timing and lean out the AFRs (16-18....OMG) you can get some serious cruising gas mileage.

When you tune your car though only do it in the spots that you do most of your crusing...55mph, 65mph, 75mph

And yes, EGTs could play a factor but at such low loads, thats not so much of an issue in my opinion.

There is also water injection which i plan on playing with next year to help combustion temps, increase the knock threshold and should allow you to do some serious lean burning at cruise and still keep EGTs down and get super gas mileage.

My goal (450-500 hp, 10's 11's at the track on pump gas and then 50-65 mpg on the way home) :cool:

Back