Tuning results not as good as expected

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

smahmud

01 Accord EX.
Hello Folks,
I realize that every tuning scenario has a unique result. I have an F23 with VTEC. My tuner only managed 30 additional horsepower for what I think is a fairly built motor, see below for parts:

1) Long-runner header
2) 2.5-in stainless cat-back
3) High-flow cat
4) BOMZ short-ram intake
5) AEM adj cam-gear
6) Adj fuel pressure reg and AEM fuel rail
7) Fidanza aluminum flywheel
8) Unorthodox U/D 3-pulley set (A/C, Alt, P/S)
9) Gude performance head (11:1 comp, Bullfrog T/B and lightened butterfly, port-matched and polished, Stage 1 Cam)

Bringing it all together
10) P28 ECU with Hondata s200.

My tuner (JE Import Perf in Baltimore), tuned it for one entire day, and showed the results. We went from 120 to 150 WHP. I was hoping for ALOT more.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, especially since I paid 1200 bucks for the 'day on the dyno'.

Thanks,
Shamoon

Last edited:
Why did it take all day to tune ? Shouldnt have taken no more than 2-3 hours to tune it . Unless there were problems. Such as vaccumm leaks, sensors , ect. Did you just purchase a all day one on one with the tuner for 1200 bux. For as little mods as you have . That would have been pointless. And not even under boost.

Check out Hybridgarage.com - The Best hybrid cars Resources and Information. This website is for sale! Talk to Jon. One of the best tuners in the area.

Day of Dyno

It took the folks at JE Imp Perf awhile to fabricate a bracket. Still, it was a ripoff, but what can I do NOW? It was tuned over six months ago.
So, I have several questions:
1) Is 30 WHP a good increase, given my mods...
2) Can I turbo the car with the 11:1 compression. Costs?
3) How much should it cost to balance the motor?
3a) should I purchase a pre-balanced Crower bundled set (pistons, rods, crank)
3b) or should have my stock pistons, rods and crank, balance, whilst knife-edging the crank?

Thanks,
Shamoon

30hp from boltons is a pretty good increase id be satisfied if i were you, but i never would have paid that much money for a tuning session. still probably doesnt feel fast because the weight of the car

If you wanted more power you shouldve went turbo. Sounds like you have some pretty basic mods, where I would be happy with that WHP gain like everyone else says.

You CAN turbo that 11:1 CR but its not the best idea... The OEM CR is ideal for boost on the F series...

Back