tuning

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

madvtec_2008

VTEC YO!
so im finishing up my turbo project...and its a b16a1 and i was wondering what i would need to get so its tune-able....like am i going to have to get a chip?...or can i just use my stock ecu...or if i need like a hondata s100 s200 or s300.....just looking for a little advise pls....thanks :eek:

If your ECU is OBD1, send it in and have it chipped, then find a tuner.

Otherwise, get an OBD1 ECU in there and chip it. Its the least expensive way, and you still get the same if not better results.

i have an obd1 ecu...its whats in it right now....but i think i know someone in my town that chips ecu's....do i just give him the ecu and they do the rest or do i need to send anything with it?....or what...like i've heard of things like chrome...and hondata...what are those exactly

You'll need to find a tuner. OBD1 is fine, and best to tune with (pre 2000). But you need to find a tuner. Find out what they like to tune on. The shops around me (Chicago) like to use eCtune. Basicly that's for people who just want to make their car run correctly and enjoy driving it. No fancy features for you to mess with like datalogging. Chrome is another free one that also has a pay for version which includes the datalogging. Hondata has stopped selling the s100 and s200 as they are out of date compared to the new s300 unit. The s300 has datalogging stock, as well as lots of other features. Most all shops tune the Hondata s300. Most all tuning solutions have overboost cutoffs and safety features, but some have more nitrous control than others, or launch control and such.

Tuner's preference for budget and just plain driving.
Hondata s300 for datalogging and other features.

btw,
eCtune - Home
< C R O M E >
Hondata - Honda ECU Modification and Enhancement
AEM - Plug & Play Engine Management Systems*

Yeah, i had my setup tuned on Neptune. I have a D16Z6 on boost and i paid 400$ to buy the hardware and have it installed in my ECU w/ chip. For the moneys worth, Neptune is a great way to go, but then again not many can tune it... in fact the guy i use is the only Neptune tuner in the whole state of MD. But with an AEM boost solenoid added on we have my setup on a progressive boost, i.e manual high/low switch. In low boost i run 4lbs-1st gear, 8lbs-2nd, 13lbs-3rd-5th gear; in high boost i run 8lbs-1st gear, 13lbs 2nd gear, 19lbs 3rd-5th gear.. i can even turn it all off and run off the waste gate which is 4lbs. So ask around any shops that can tune and see what they use, and ask what capabilities that software has etc. If you want to be able to have almost any shop be able to tune your car, you can soend the 700$ to get Hondata s300 which will come with everything you will ever need to tune.. Or you can tune on a local software, again like my example of Neptune or YBLEGAL's with eCtune.

Back