turbo a cx motor? is it worth it?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

get_nick

These snozzberries taste like snozzberries...
VIP
So..... my little daily driver eg hatch motor blew. I'm having a friend install a cx motor for $200 including the cost of the motor. cx motors suck and only have 70 hp. it's just the daily driver for about 100 miles a day. i would get a d16z6, but it would cost more money and i don't want to shop around. i just want it running now and not fuck with it.

so, i have the intercooler i could use (from the sr), hf manifold, and not much else. I can get a t25 pretty easy and cheap. but would it be worth it or should i leave it stock?

What would the cost to turbo be vs a GS-R swap or similar? I dont rly know prices for those swaps, sorry for the noob style question :p

the turbo altogether might cost $800 after tuning.

turbo-$125
manifold adapter-$50
ic piping-$100
install and tuning-$300
misc extras-$100

i'm also thinking powerwise. 70 hp is lame, but is it worth $800 for about 60 more hp.

that's why i'm wondering if i should just leave it stock and spend that same $800 on the nissan. That could be a roll cage.

For the money that you spent on that turbo setup getting an extra 60hp (maybe), you would be better served just getting the D16Z6. You'll spend less money, be lighter, use less gas, be more reliable, and still be just as fast.

I say do it! Later down the road, install a z6 or y8 head and you're good to go! CX motor just lack that extra 8 valves and IM is super small. Use that cx trans if you really want to save gas.

I say do it, and bioost it til it blows. :) You could easily piece a kit together for less than 800. Do the install yourself, it's not hard. The tuning isn't hard either.

that's why i'm wondering if i should just leave it stock and spend that same $800 on the nissan. That could be a roll cage.
this is a very good point, no reason to have 2 project cars
enjoy the good gas mileage and finish the nissan...
what sort of nissan do you have and whats done to it?

reikoshea said:
you willingly drive a RHD??

yeah, it's not the daily driver though. I got it done and it was kinda anti-climatic. I was like, "uh...ok, what now". so now its going to be a full drift car. I'm going to finish it off, show it at HIN with a big "For Sale" sign on it and see if I sell it to some stupid kid with rich rich parents. the plan is to buy a G35 in december. I would like to get a little magazine shot though before I sell it.

I'll post more pics once it gets painted.

The guy who painted this sponsors my friends team. "Team Menace". He is local and will do a good job.

kn_G35_2s.jpg

Primedia - Backissues: IMPORT TUNER JUNE 2006

i should get a good price. it won't be any flames or anything like this.

update: found a 2000, d16y8 complete swap for $600. what do you guys think? I plan on keeping the car maybe another 6-9 months. or my friend has a gsr swap for $1300 installed. i was only planning on spending $500 to get it running though.

Last edited:
thats dirt cheap for a GSR swap installed...

can't really see you going wrong with that as long as you trust your friend to sell you a good motor and do a good install

reckedracing said:
thats dirt cheap for a GSR swap installed...

can't really see you going wrong with that as long as you trust your friend to sell you a good motor and do a good install

yeah, i trust him. i drive his car every once in a while. that's just $1300 that could go into my 240sx. i only have until sept. 30th to get it ready for HIN. then i'll start G35 or 350z shopping. still haven't decided.

1300$ for a gsr swap installed is fucking cheap man. I'd go for that. I'd get him to compression test it and leakdown test it infront of you before you buy it though. And just go for a ride in it to see how it feels.

boosting a cx motor is fine.. lots of people do it. But if its your daily driver I wouldn't bother.. chances are your HG will blow or something silly will go on you and you'll be stuck w/o a car.

edit: he decided to keep the gsr. as for the d16y8, I think i'll leave that alone to. i'll just get the cx motor into it for $250 installed and buy cams for the sr20det.

Back