Turbo a HF

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

drpenguin

I have a 89 HF. I have been reading on homemadeturbo.com and I have the turbo bug. At the moment the car is stock engine wise. I was wondering if I could turbo. Well I know I can turbo it but how would the engine react to this? Would it just blow it to shit or could i get some power off this? This is just to tie me over till I swap. I want something better then a stock, what is it 60 hourses?

If you're going to boost, you should swap the head with an Si Head or an SOHC Vtec head. YOu should also swap out the tranny or else you will be going NOWHERE fast. Get a ZC, Si, or DX tranny, a new head, and a turbo kit and you'll have a damn fast HF.

buy another cheap single cam engine (like a y7) and turbo that. hf's suck. i raced a turbo hf crx that was boosted at 10lbs. i had 4 people in the car and a full tank of gas, and i walked it pretty easily.

I was thinking 5-7 lbs of boost for a daily driver. I would love to swap the head do you wanna sell me one for cheap? Could the stock head handle the boost? How long do you think the engine will run for if i do this?

Its not the head that'll break, its the engine internals or the axles (hf axles are pathetic). No I don't have a head, but you could look at the local junk yard. 5-7lbs on a decent turbo MIGHT net you 160hp. You're better off swapping in a dohc ZC (drops right in, no modifications at all) and a ZC tranny and boosting that.

Just a heads up, I would not go above 6-8psi as D15 rods are very weak.

LS rods are too long for the D15, unless you're going to use custom pistons with really high wrist pins- and then you might as well just buy normal forged pistons AND rods. The LS rods only work as a drop-in for the D16.

sweet sweet okay. no boosted hf then, know where i could pick up a d16z6 longblock?

Back