Turbo Boosting B16A CRX, need more mods!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i will soon be boosting my CRX, i am wondering what other mods are neccesary to go along with my turbo kit, or to help the turbo kit do its thing? im talking anything from a throttle body to pistons, etc, i need ideas and what is the best thing to buy for the money, i am on a budget, and this is a street car, im wondering about what cam to buy, etc, i plan on adding a 50 shot of nos later down the road

thanks guys

I say 9:1 pistons and some rods will do. and a great turbo setup. valve train if you're planning to rev past 8k often but B16 stock is capable of doin some great numbers bone stock..

dont bother getting Nos you could get the same power by increasing the boost, just get yourself some pistons/rods a good tune .;)

Last edited:
im trying to find the right turbo to go along with my motor, what would be the ideal t3/t4? and what is a good brand of rods, ill probably go with JE or Weisco pistons, but dont kno much about rods, as in good brands

XXHondaRacerXX said:
im trying to find the right turbo to go along with my motor, what would be the ideal t3/t4? and what is a good brand of rods, ill probably go with JE or Weisco pistons, but dont kno much about rods, as in good brands

The size of the turbo depends on how much power you plan on making.
Eagle makes good rods, Probes are also good. Crower and Cunningham make bling rods, and are awesome.

id like to make as much power as possible while still keeping reliability in mind, maybe 300whp or so? i think if i hit anything over 350 i will loose reliability majorly, i dont want to have to rebuild the thing every 6 months lol

t3/t40e
I'd stay around .6~.7 A/R ratio for both hot and cold sides, as it will not lag like some of the bigger turbos, but will still have a good top end.

300 isnt a bad goal...i think hotrex was close to 400 when he blew his...he did a block fill and i dont think id recommend it anymore.

300 on a decent sized hybrid is not a bad goal. Make sure you get new injectors (dsm 450s are fine) and then a good tune with something like crome/hondata for the reliability side. It wont be reliable without a good tune, so that is a must.

Id get new rods and pistons, leave the head stock and just change the head gasket and turbo kit.

let us know if you have any more questions.

*edit*
damn you mike for mirroring my post about the hybrid.

ya, i was thinkin about goin with the 450's with hondata, id like to hit the 300 mark reliably, maybe reach 350 if i can, i just think any higher and im asking for trouble

what do you think about porting, neccessary or not needed?
also what about an intercooler? what brands of those are good?
as for piping, do i need to create my own being i have a hybrid or can i just measure and buy it?
as for BOV and other stuff like that, how do i kno whats good and whats junk, i basically just need some good brands to check it, and some good prices on stuff

id like to stay in the $1500 range if at all possible, so any help or advice u can give me to get into that range would be great

MikeBergy said:
t3/t40e
I'd stay around .6~.7 A/R ratio for both hot and cold sides, as it will not lag like some of the bigger turbos, but will still have a good top end.

do you think i could hit the 300-350 mark with that turbo? and would u reccommend purchasing one off ebay or a used one in the for sale section, or from a shop?

porting is not NEEDED but it does help your cfms and helps your turbo spool up faster.
any major name is good for intercoolers. spearco, greddy, xs engineering...you know who they are. When JohnnyRaceCar comes back, he makes some kick ass intercoolers.

most local mom and pop muffler shops wont have a problem doing your piping for you.

BOV is just a bov...those cheap knock off greddy bovs are good enough for all the ones ive done. if you want something quality you can get an hks ssqv

good idea, never thought of a muffler shop doing that, nice idea man

so now we have the:

turbo: t3/t40e .6~.7 A/R ratio
intercooler: greddy/xs engineering/johnnyracecar
BOV: knock off greddy until i get money for better
management: hondata
port work: our own
pistons: JE/Wiesco/CP
Rods: eagle
injectors: dsm 450
manifold: cc-fab/eribunicrx
piping: local muffler mart

anything else i need or does that cover it all?

Last edited:
id drop crower...they are kinda outa your price range.

you can add cp to the piston list.

after that it looks like you got everything except wastegate (assuming you dont get a turbo with an internal wg).

alright, ya im not thinkin the pistons/rods will count into my price range, im thinkin the turbo setup alone will be in the $1000 range, maybe the $950 or so at least, with pistons and rods, probably around $1600 or so, unless i can find someone who can get me a really good price

ya i forgot about the wastegate, are the interal wg turbos better or no? if not then whats a good waste gate, or does it even matter that much?

depends, if you get a new one, an internal will be fine. an older turbo, id say get a new external wastegate

alright, thanks a lot man, u have been a ton of help with this, i will be sure to post pictures and stuff once i get it all shipped here and installed

are the turbos on ebay that are new alright to buy or do u have a place i can buy all of this stuff from that can hook me up with a sweet deal?

full-race always has DECENT prices for a reliable retailer.

turbo: t3/t04e .6~.7 A/R ratio both sides
intercooler: greddy/xs engineering/johnnyracecar
BOV: knock off greddy until i get money for better
management: hondata
port work: our own
pistons: JE/Wiesco/CP
Rods: eagle
injectors: dsm 450
manifold: cc-fab/eribunicrx
piping: local muffler mart
wastegate: internal if new/external if old

here is an example of an ebay one eBay Motors: T3 T4 T04E TURBO DSM Honda With Internal Wastegate 60 T (item 300011903839 end time Aug-03-06 13:20:13 PDT)

says its made by XS

Back