Turbo camshafts

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mozzandherb

Is it O.K to be running turbo cams without having a turbo?? Stupid question I know, but the reason Im asking is because Im looking to boost hopefully next year (my car is storeage for the winter) but is o.k to be driving with turbo cams without yet having the turbo? Thanks

yeah i guess you could...i think its like using low CR pistons with no boost.....slow

:werd:

Also, from what ive seen, H22s run a LOT better without vtec, so since you are doing an H22 build up, turbo cams are definitely something you want to look into.

BTW, that information comes from a guy who accidently unplugged his solenoid while on the dyno, and he gained 12 HP at the wheels. (on stock cams)

look into getting somehting other then a turbo cam for your build. b series turbo motors are making really good power on type r and ctr cams over b16 and gsr cams. maybe a stg 1 or 2 n/a cam

do you want dyno numbers? you would think low duration works better but for some reason honda motors like the big lift and duration

gsc did a back to back dyno test the only thing they changed was cams from skunk2 turbos to a mixed set of all motor cams i thinkit was a jun and a type r or something . anyways they gained a ton of horsepower through the whole power band like 60+ or something. great all motor cams make great turbo cams in hondas.

except this is mozza, and he has an H22

Quoted post[/post]]
:werd:

Also, from what ive seen, H22s run a LOT better without vtec, so since you are doing an H22 build up, turbo cams are definitely something you want to look into.

BTW, that information comes from a guy who accidently unplugged his solenoid while on the dyno, and he gained 12 HP at the wheels. (on stock cams)
Well reiko I'm not going to be going without my v-tec, but that's interesting that it runs better without. Anyway with that aside you think turbo cams are the way to go if I'm doing a total rebuild? I posted this on h-t and people seem to think that turbo cams are overated and not really worth it...

well as a general rule they will give you more horsepower. I cannot give you the physics behind it, but 20HP from cams is not something unheard of. Hearing that high overlap camshafts help in hondas is new to me. im gonna do a lil more research and see if i can find out why that is. reiko out.

well shit, that didnt take long at all. Basically turbo cams allow the intake valves to be closed or almost closed when the exhaust valves are opened. That way you dont have exhaust pressures screwing up your valve train. Yes, high overlap gives better performace. You get that performance at the cost of reliability. apparently you can bend valves from the exhaust back pressure. You end up getting a better top end as long as the components dont give out.

low overlap for safty, high overlap for speed. Anyone else have any insights?

Back