Turbo charging my civic EX

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ANP320

Hey guys. I have a 1997 Civic EX. It has the stock D16 motor in it and i am thinking about turbo charging it. I need reccommendations on what kit to buy. Im looking at this kit on EBAY. It comes with a brand new T25 turbo. Is that a good kit to buy? How much boost can i run it up too? How much boost can my stock motor take and about how much HP my car would have. Ive also read about "replacing internals for high boost" what are internals? are they like pistons and rods etc.? please give me any info you can! thanks!

If you've got a 97 EX, I'd go with the Edelbrock kit. I'm sorry, but the Edelbrock kit fucking ownz any other kit on the market for an EK.

http://www.modacar.com/products/Honda/Civi.../turbokits.html
Turbo Kit From Edelbrock provides over a 60% increase in power, this Edelbrock complete and simple to install Turbocharger Kit gives 1996-00 Honda Civic SOHC VTec D16Y8 owners an option to costly non-emissions legal engine swaps.

The Garrett T28 ball bearing Turbocharger comes pre-assembled as one unit with a Ni-resist cast exhaust manifold, a cast iron exhaust elbow, and inlet oil and water lines for the simplest possible installation.

Turbo Kit From Edelbrock fits the 96-00 Civic EX Turbo system includes a high-performance Performer X intake manifold with four extra injectors and a separate electronic controller to add fuel under boosted conditions.

The Edelbrock 96-00 Civic EX Turbo kit Also includes an oversized Spearco intercooler and Tial blow off valve.

The Edelbrock exhaust manifold and elbow are designed for maximum flow at high velocity for quicker turbo spool-up. We’ve included a windshield pillar mounted boost gauge and pre-assembled Russell oil, water and fuel lines to make this one of the most complete kits on the market. legal status pending.

:thumbsup:

Search. Look on TurboD16.com LOOK don't post. And there is alot of good kits...but do NOT get Turbo XS or SSautocrome (they are same thing) get greddy or edelbrock. And invest in getting a chipped ECU...a FMU kinda sucks...FMU= Fuel Managament Unit

how much HP would you say the edelbrock kit would give my car. also, whats the highest psi i could run it at?

your gonna gain roughly 30-40 hp with a stock greddy or edlebrock kit, but, there is a reason for this. Their built for what, 50% more power over stock. Their psi is around 5-6psi. Theirs been many people that are running their stock motors at 7-8psi safely, but with a highly tuned engine management such as a chipped ecu. If your not used to boost, i'd recommend you start out with what comes in the kits so you can learn to expect what kinda power you are getting yourself into. Not trying to say you can't handle it, just warning to you to play it safe.

Quoted post[/post]]
your gonna gain roughly 30-40 hp with a stock greddy or edlebrock kit, but, there is a reason for this. Their built for what, 50% more power over stock. Their psi is around 5-6psi. Theirs been many people that are running their stock motors at 7-8psi safely, but with a highly tuned engine management such as a chipped ecu. If your not used to boost, i'd recommend you start out with what comes in the kits so you can learn to expect what kinda power you are getting yourself into. Not trying to say you can't handle it, just warning to you to play it safe.

Hello, you're wrong.

On the dynamometer, the D16 engine was previously equipped with an exhaust and intake, putting out 109.4 hp and 95.3 lb-ft of torque. With the turbo kit installed, the car then produced 175.7 hp and 141.5 lb-ft of torque. Boost pressure was leveled off at 7 psi, showing that the kit made a total of 65.3 ponies and 46.2 lb-ft of torque. With the addition of a boost controller and more tuning, we are confident that this turbo kit can produce numbers in the 200 range
http://www.importtuner.com/tech/0310it_edelbrock/

That's as the kit comes, with no boost controller. No boost controller. 175hp/141tq. AND it's 50-state legal.

I'd recommend you check your facts before you make yourself look like an ass.

I recommend DIY turbos. You will learn more and be happier with it when its done. Also I agree do not use an FMU setup go Hondata easy to work with and I can get you hooked up with it if your interested.
A turbo setup is real easy to build yourself hell go look at al the kits (Edelbrock, GReddy etc) and just build what they have done. Its not like they have a patent on anything special. If you need help let me know. I did my own on my Eclipse 420A and a Honda is way easier than that. Plus you will spend much less.

Quoted post[/post]]
I recommend DIY turbos. You will learn more and be happier with it when its done. Also I agree do not use an FMU setup go Hondata easy to work with and I can get you hooked up with it if your interested.
A turbo setup is real easy to build yourself hell go look at al the kits (Edelbrock, GReddy etc) and just build what they have done. Its not like they have a patent on anything special. If you need help let me know. I did my own on my Eclipse 420A and a Honda is way easier than that. Plus you will spend much less.

Thats probably the best and cheapest route (plus you are getting only the parts you need and of good quality) but I'm not sure this guy has the knowledge to build his own....I recomend that you do a lot of research before you buy a pre-fabbed kit or build your own.....I personally wouldn't buy a prefabbed kit...

Well heres my .02.

We sell the Edelbrock kits $3250.00 shipped = Great kits!, Great Fitment, Great Power. If you have the cash buy a Edelbrock.

Greddy: Its your second best for a complete kit that will make good power for the dollar and fitment is great, they also have great quality and will have no installation issues as the the same with edelbrock. We sell the Greddy with intercooler kits for $3100.00 shipped with the type 24 (bigger intercooler kit)

Honestly i sell more Greddy kits then any other SOHC turbo kit out there.

If you do a custom eBay kit you will have a headache and if you have issues and you will, you wont know where to start. Plus the greddy and edelbrock kits have everything you need for fuel.

Quoted post[/post]]

If you do a custom eBay kit you will have a headache and if you have issues and you will, you wont know where to start. Plus the greddy and edelbrock kits have everything you need for fuel.

Thats if you don't know what your doing.......I wouldn't buy any e-bay kits.....they are garbage to begin with...

For this guy with his knowledge I would recomend a pre-fabbed kit. There is nothing wrong with greddy kits or edelbrock, except for the cost....I have less then $3,500 into my turbo set-up(turbo manifold,intercooler,wg,injectors,fuel pump hondata,etc...).....I'll be taking my car down to get tuned soon....tuning for as close to 500whp as possible....that you cant do with a bolted on greddy kit for the same price.....

What suites some doesn't suite all.......
looking for a bump in power and no worrries...get a kit.....
Want to tailor your kit to your goals and have flexability while saving money.....build your own....Knowledge is power....use it.

Spend money where it counts - Turbo, intercooler, wastegate and fuel/engine management. If you have the cash to throw at it, by all means go and buy a Greddy/Vecco/Edelbrock kit. Otherwise, peice together a kit using sources you know (mani by CC-fab, Crome or Uberdata/tuning from anyone of the 13354097 people on HS who do it, turbo from either one of our sponsors or members, etc). Mechanically, peicing together a kit isn't that hard once you have all the components. Other than clocking the turbo, fabbing/welding a downpipe, plumbing the oil/water lines and tapping the oil pan - most of it is pretty straight forward. But to get it to run, have someone tune it for you. It will be money well spent. Bolt-on kits are expensive because they work as soon as you plug them in and bolt them on. All the tuning and R&D is done.

DIY kits require tuning, so elbow grease, and some imagination. But they also are more satisfying to build. Peices can be mixed and matched depending on your buget. Ebay intercooler piping, a good wastegate, Ebay BOV, a good oil line kit, etc.

fabbing/welding a downpipe, plumbing the oil/water lines and tapping the oil pan - most of it is pretty straight forward.

thats why the pre fabed kit is for this guy....in the long run he will be happy faster.....and he could blow more than his share of sohc if he wants.....

but if he wants to diy then...welcome....buy advil and patience....

Back