Turbo D series

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Harms Way

My current set up on my D16Y8 is an Apex'i exhaust (I think 2.25 or 2.5), DC 4-1 header, skunk2 intake manifold, and an AEM cold air intake. (Other things include a strut bar, B&M short throw shifter, and a real mugen carbon fiber shift knob)

My question: Will a small turbo work on my setup and be reliable? I use my car as a daily driver and basically want some more HP. Nothing HUGE, but basically one of the smallest turbos for a D series that is reliable. I was reading Loco Honkey's write up and he claimed... "I've personally found that the IHI RHB5 VJ11 turbos are *PERFECT* for a streetable D series."

Is this up my alley? How much money are we talking about this setup setting me back? Where can i find/look at/read about/buy one of these setups?

Thanks for your time.

Originally posted by projectxspeed@Jun 23 2004, 12:19 AM
Are you willing to blow you engine up?

please stop posing useless shit.

My current set up on my D16Y8 is an Apex'i exhaust (I think 2.25 or 2.5), DC 4-1 header, skunk2 intake manifold, and an AEM cold air intake. (Other things include a strut bar, B&M short throw shifter, and a real mugen carbon fiber shift knob)

ok...

My question: Will a small turbo work on my setup and be reliable?

theres 2312312312 factors that make or break a setup. #1 is fuel management.

lack thereof = boom
plenty of it, tuned well = success within limits.

I use my car as a daily driver and basically want some more HP. Nothing HUGE, but basically one of the smallest turbos for a D series that is reliable.

turbos them seleves are pretty reliable. its the other things you need to factor in.

I was reading Loco Honkey's write up and he claimed... "I've personally found that the IHI RHB5 VJ11 turbos are *PERFECT* for a streetable D series."

Is this up my alley? How much money are we talking about this setup setting me back? Where can i find/look at/read about/buy one of these setups?

Thanks for your time.

its a great sized turbo for a sub 200hp d-seires on moderate fuel management.

setup- hardly. thats just a turbo. depending on where you get it from and the condition its in, anywhere from $50-$400. check our turbo articles section for a post on "OEM turbo cars"

your header will become useless... you need a turbo manifold.
you'll need an i/c, piping, wastegate (if it is internally gated and is missing it), some type of bov will be desireable, oil feed, return, tapped pan, (coolant lines if needed for that particular turbo) and some method of fuel management... in order of "goodnees" :

- a 12:1 fmu, missing link
- vafc hack (dsm 450cc injectors, resistor box, vafc)
- uberdata, 440cc injectors or larger (and a resistor box if they are peak/hold instead of staurated)
- hondata/aem/your standalone brand here if you have a lot of cash + larger inejctors

whatever method you choose, TUNE IT on a dyno with a wideband o2.

the fmu is pretty much untunable, and thus the least desireable method- but, on a small turbo such as the one you are looking at, and sub 10-psi on said small turbo, you should be fine.
but, could be better with a little more money.

basically, depending on what parts you buy, new vs used, and method of management... you'll look at anywhere from 800-3000 before dyno time/costs.

I would go with at least a T3 60 trim. I am really glad I didn't go with a smaller turbo on my d16z6. Honda motors make ALL their power at high rpms so having a turbo that starts spooling around 2,000 rpms and dies out at high rpms wouldn't be the way to go if you ask me. A small turbo would be shitty for daily driving and freeway driving because your turbo would be wanting to spool ALL the time. Good luck driving in the rain with a small turbo also because once it spools your tires will break loose.

I think the T3 60 trim .60/.48 is the perfect turbo for a d-series. I have this turbo and I can drive around all day and not even boost if I am light on the throttle. When your racing it doesn't even matter if your turbo spools really fast because chances are your rpms won't drop low enough to make a difference. It will lag a little more than a smaller turbo, but the top end power makes it worth it. Reliability comes from good fuel management and tuning. Just keep researching.

yes, a small turbo will work and will be reliable, as long as you tune right and change ur oil, unlike myself who changes oil like every 10,000 miles.. lol... neways

if u dont want a real lot of boost get a t-25 or a rhb5 or a 14b.. theyre small and spool very quickly, but it also is possible to avoid boost when driving it if u dont really want it... if ur lookin for more hp up top, for like racing or whatever.. get a small-er t3.. like beerbong said, either way you should be fine.. dont forget an intercooler and blow off valve.. some people seem to think not having a blow off valve is a good idea, u dont ABSOLUTELY need one but they make things run much more efficiently and last longer...

if u build ur own kit u should plan to spend anywhere from 600 to 1000 bucks for the parts, depending on how used the parts are that u get.. shop around, there are many deals to be had.. or u can get a greddy kit with an intercooler for upwards of 2 grand? (i dont even know anymore, outrageous pricing for a poor man like me)

i wouldnt boost with too much psi on a stock engine tho.. im going to be running 7/8 lbs of boost..that should be fine for you even less would be good.. dont skimp on fuel management tho, otherwise ur engine will go poof

keep researcing, ask intelligent questions, and read read read.. u can find anything u need to know about turbo honda's on the internet

Back