turbo d15

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

oosoloo

listen i know the whole turbo d16 vtec has been done...stock bottom end seems to work good with around 10 lbs boost, but has anyone done a boosted d15 non-vtec...i was thinking about doin it in my del sol cz i heard from some people that vtec doesnt really matter all that much and in some cases vtec with d16's boosted are worse...help me out, is it worth spending the dough on a d16 vtec and boosting, or will ill be good with the d15. also whats better turbo kit(can the greddy d16 kit work or no) or custom set-up?possible amount of boost with stock internals?any help?

When I was looking at this I found a "Panda" motor. Somebody over on honda tech was taking first gen. supra turbo pistons, and connecting them to b16 rods (around $550 shipped). His sig was panda, thus the name of the motor. He was able to run crazy boost on the motor, and was making good power.
If I am correct the main difference between the d15 and d16 is the crank(somebody correct me If I'm wrong) so that part shouldn't really matter. The reason that I decided not to go with this set-up was because of the power limitations. After all of this you are pushing the limits of the d, while a b series can keep going, I have the feeling that once I got to that amount of power I would want more. So when you ask if it's worth spending the dough, you need to look at your personal goals. Hope this helps you in your quest...

I wouldn't waste time on the d15. In the del sol I'de be impressed if the car broke 14's. That set up just isn't going to get the results for the money you'll be spending on internals, the turbo kit, controls, and fuel system upgrades.

boost it stock till it blows up. meanwhile, save for a b-seires :)

well the thing is i want to do a crazy sohc setup and i was wondering if the d15 and d16 would make a difference except the vtec...like i just wanna be able to work up a sick single cam i mean i dont hate on the dual cams but its like predictable not that many people do it but if i had the money for the motor and the kit i'd do it to but would it be worth buying a d16 vtec for my intentions?

yeh but do you think i shuold do the mini me swap? like meaning do the vtec too?

Don't do a minime swap with boost. The compression is too high, and the swap is a real crapass swap. It doesn't work that well, despite what someone may tell you. I've done a few, and have seen a few done, and they all end up the same way- running like shit, timing belt breaks, odd engine behavior.

If you want VTEC, buy the whole engine. They go for under $350. Also, don't try and half ass the VTEC with an RPM switch- the Z6 ECU can be found for about $100. You'll have to run three wires- one for the VTEC solenoid and two for the VTEC oil pressure sensor.

If you don't feel like doing it the easy way, you could install any SOHC D16 crank into your block and run the Panda Motor setup. The D16 crank has a few more mm worth of stroke, which is where it makes the extra 100cc over the D15. However, here's some things to think about... More stroke means higher piston side loadings, longer dwell periods at TDC and BDC, higher rod angles, and higher piston speeds. Looking at the whole scheme of things, these are all bad for a boosted engine. The upside is that the larger stroke means that the piston has a longer period of time to turn the crankshaft, making more torque.

As for the boost... like Iron1 said, the Panda Motor is a hell of a setup if you want to do a D. There's nothing wrong with built boosted D power, and with it, you'll be able to exceed the limits of streetable HP.

Has anyone tried to do the panda motor and still use the d15 crank? With Loco bringing up all of these points
More stroke means higher piston side loadings, longer dwell periods at TDC and BDC, higher rod angles, and higher piston speeds
it sounds like it would be a little better to use the 1.5 crank. Or would you just lose too much power?

Originally posted by Iron 1@Nov 18 2003, 02:05 AM
Has anyone tried to do the panda motor and still use the d15 crank? With Loco bringing up all of these points
More stroke means higher piston side loadings, longer dwell periods at TDC and BDC, higher rod angles, and higher piston speeds
it sounds like it would be a little better to use the 1.5 crank. Or would you just lose too much power?

It's not so much a loss of power as it is rod length. If you used a D15 crank with the Panda setup, you'd have about a 4:1 compression ratio because the D16 crank would push the piston up further in the bore than the D15 would if using the same rod.

Originally posted by B18C_NA@Nov 18 2003, 01:26 PM
with all that money you could of got a B18C or at least a B16 gen2

Sure, and be slower. Here's some simple math for ya...

B18C1 = 170 HP, 130 ft lbs. of torque. Cost of swap = $4500 all said and done.
B16 = 160 HP, 111 ft lbs. of torque. Cost of swap = $3500 all said and done.
Turbo
D15 = 200 HP, 180 ft lbs. of torque. Cost of turbo = $2500 (and that's being generous in terms of both power output and cost).

Now let's look at where we can go from there...

B18C1 turbo = $3500. HP potential- 300 HP. Total cash outlay including swap and turbo = $8000.
B16 turbo = $3500. HP potential- 275 HP. Total cash outlay including swap and turbo = $7000.
Spending $3500 to build up the turbo D15 would take you well over 350 HP. Total cash outlay including turbo = $6000.

B series will always have more potential, but if you're looking for streetable (do you even know what I mean by "streetable?"), cost effective HP, you can't beat a turbo D.

4:1 = crazy low
once again, another question answered on hondaswap!
nice comparison chart btw...

If you turbo a D series motor how miles should you have on the motor to do it with? I have a D16y8 and I have a 154,688 miles on it . But I have a tranny with about 50,000 miles on it, so would it be smart to turbo the D series or will I be wasting my money? I just want to hit 13.9 in the quarter mile , so will I make it or not? Also wanted to know what a stock gsr would do in the quarter mile and also a stock b16 both in a civic does anyone know?

This topic has gone off topic. If you wish to continue the original topic, please start a new thread. This topic has been closed.

:locked:

Thank you, the moderating team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back