Turbo D16Y8

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Roke_219

I have been reading through these forums and the turbo D16 boards about this shit and from what i've seen most are suggesting T3 .42/.48 turbos custom as the cheapest way to get power to the motor. I'm looking for some help and suggestions of what exactly to do to turbo my daily driven 2000 EX. I want to turbo it to get some added power and surprise the shit out of guys around town. Not looking for some of the amazing hp quotes i saw on turbod16...just may 200-250 with a custom kit. i got around 1000-1500 bucks saved up to do this shit and just looking for some opinions or guidelines. I'm a newb to the boards but i know my way around the engine and hopefully have the tools to install what i need.

my car stats:
D16Y8 motor
Greddy Evo II Full cat-back exhaust
AEM Short Ram Intake
17' wheels/205/40R tires.

also was checking out ebay for some parts and came accross this:
d16 kit

is that kind of shit worthy?

or this kind of kit

any help appreciated. want to hopefully have my d16y8 turbo'd and done by June. Prefer to keep a/c and pwr steering, daily driven and from what i saw wasnt killer on gas? currently cheapass using 87octane....running 10psi or so boost need 91 or 93? <3 to any posts with info! :worthy: :worthy:

youll definitely need to run higher octane (91+) fr a turbo engine. Id recommend doing what youve seen. T3/T04B is your best bet, but turbocalculator.com isnt working right now, so i dont have maps to tell you what trim is best, but i doubt it is gonna be very big for a 200-250 power goal.

oh, and :withstupid:

Quoted post[/post]]
youll definitely need to run higher octane (91+) fr a turbo engine. Id recommend doing what youve seen. T3/T04B is your best bet, but turbocalculator.com isnt working right now, so i dont have maps to tell you what trim is best, but i doubt it is gonna be very big for a 200-250 power goal.

oh, and :withstupid:

for parts what exactly would i be needing?

turbo itself
manifold
wastegate( or does a t3 .42/.48 have internal or hows that work?)
BOV
new FMU and ECU?
bigger injectors (what size?)
fuel pump?
intercooler and piping
new radiator fans?
boost gauge of course
fuel pressure gauge?
exhaust temp gauge?

also i was reading somewhere about certain exhaust systems being made more for NA than turbo....hows Greddy Evo stand for that or thats not a major factor?

shit anyone have a d16y8 turbo guide somewhere that ihavent found? :confused:

you can get a turbo with internal...wastegate, but not many manifolds are without a wastegate opening...but you can always block it off.

you will need an ECU. a P28 or P30 with crome will suit you well. You can get crome from http://www.tunewithcrome.com

Then go to http://xenocron.com and get the DIY kit from him. You can also get the 440 injectors you will need. You do not HAVE to upgrade fuel pumps, but the walboro is so cheap, youd be crazy not to.

You can nab a half radiator out of a del sol and be fine.

FP and EGT guages help in tuning, but they are not ABSOLUTELY necissary, but they make life easier.

Dude Search...go on TurboD16.com and look at the FREE TURBO HERE...it will tell you ALL you need for the kit...also get on homemadeturbo.com they have more kits on there...if you want 200 SAFELY make sure you have a good tune. I would get a t3/t04b only if you are OK with a little bit of lag. I would go with a .53 trim on that.

homemadeturbo.com more than enough options for turboing your d series mad cheap

search your junkyards for parts.. last year i found a mint airresearch .42/.48 t3 for 10 bucks

never ever ever run an fmu.

technology has brought us past vacuum pressure advancers designed for carberators.....

Quoted post[/post]]
www.cc-fab.net do it.

coo, bout the only thing im not getting is how the oil line works. i saw about making the hole as high up on the pan as possible and how oil feeds to the turbo? is there a return line to send back or...idk wtf im confused about this shit. pics would be helpful...links on homemade so far are too old and pics/diagrams work no more!

stealthmodeperformance.com gets u the lines...

there is a feed from the back of your block and it drains to your oil pan

look in the turbo projects section of homemadeturbo.com, tons and tons of examples on how to do it with buttloads of pictures

Moates Ostrich Eprom Emulator ($175)
- Innovate Motorsports LC-1 Wideband Kit ($199)

guessing thats the hardware u need to install Crome???

uberdata better? or same shit....and how hard is that to install/tune....or would a VAFC be better for someone with no experience?

you need the chipping kit too i believe (of course its the one that is like 2 bucks more expensive)

uberdata and crome are essentially the same, but i like crome's interface a lot better.

Quoted post[/post]]
you need the chipping kit too i believe (of course its the one that is like 2 bucks more expensive)

uberdata and crome are essentially the same, but i like crome's interface a lot better.

well im trying keep this low budget....being why im not buying a greddy kit....and fact that lot of guys posted custom was better if done right and more pocket friendly.

just trying understand what it is i need to upgrade on ECU to be able to run with the turbo.

figure this is what id get -

Tuner Package #4

Includes:
- OBD0 or OBD1 Chipped ECU ($165)
- Serial or USB Datalogging Cable Kit ($30)
- Moates Ostrich Eprom Emulator ($175)

or wats a better package??

and whats "Innovate LC-1 Wideband Kit ($199)"????

sry im such a newb yay

lol, better to ask than not ask. kit 4 is definitely suitable, but you are going to want the wideband to tune your Air:Fuel. Definitely worth the $200 bucks. Take it to a good shop and have them street tune it for you. They will definitely want you to have a Wideband though.

well i have 00 EX so it comes stock with OBD2B ECU right? would it be cheaper and easier for me just to go V-AFC instead of buying all this shit to tune crome/turboedit/uberdata....since there are no known experienced tuners in my area?

cheap...yes....easy...yes...better...no...safer, sometimes no.

you can fully tune fuel maps on crome. with a hack you are kinda SOL. 12.5 might be 12 and 14.7 could be 15.1 it just kinda guesstimates. thatd scare me...but thats just me.

??

Garrett T3 Turbo

-Rebuilt Garrett T3 Turbocharger
-45 or 60 Trim Compressor Wheel
-.42 A/R (Shown) or .60 A/R Compressor Housing**
-.48 A/R or .63 A/R Turbine Housing Option
-Stage 1 Turbine Wheel
-Internal Wastegate Option (.48 A/R Housing Only)

Price: $329

that a good price/turbo for what im thinking of doing?....alrdy checked local junkyards....straight no on any turbos.

T3-60 is definitely a good turbo.

and sol means shit outa luck

the vafc is worthless on a turbo car IMO.

it TRICKS the ecu, doesn't work with it.
and it can only effect fuel maps

ignition maps are where the power lies.
fuel maps is where the safety lies.

Back