Turbo Exhaust Question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Drake

VIP
My dad told me stories about exhaust cut outs back in the day. I always thought it was a pretty cool idea and today i found one. Check out this link.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product...isplay/ss-10101

Have you guys seen anyone run one of these on a honda? Im sure plenty of muscle cars run them. Im going to turbo my car within the year i hope. Id like to hear everyone's input on it.

yea i have heard of people using them. People seem to call them e-cut outs and from what i understand 3" a fairly pricey.

The one I linked goes up to 2 1/4 inch. I was thinkin about makin my own even. I think it would be kinda cool at the track. I posted it to see if anyone has seen one in use. I was also wondering about back pressure because V8's have no problem pushing the gasses. But what do you guys think about a 4 cyl.

Yup, there are a bunch of guys in Houston running them.

Backpressure is a myth... it's a stupid term to cheat your way out of describing a much more complex concept. As long as you have smooth non-turbulent high velocity flow through your exhaust, you're fine. Backpressure is always bad.

If it's OBD2, definitely. If you install it after the O2 sensor on a non-OBD2 car, you should be fine.

Ok, well I will be running an obd1 ecu. I was thinking of putting the by-pass right after the header. Should I relocate the o2 sensor or leave it?

Originally posted by Calesta@Mar 17 2005, 08:04 AM
Yup, there are a bunch of guys in Houston running them.

Backpressure is a myth... it's a stupid term to cheat your way out of describing a much more complex concept. As long as you have smooth non-turbulent high velocity flow through your exhaust, you're fine. Backpressure is always bad.
[post=474703]Quoted post[/post]​

Plus, the concept applies to N/A engines. With a turbo engine, you want an exhaust as big as necessary to get those spent gasses out as quickly as possible.

Thanks very much for all the input guys. That isnt a bad price either I dont think.

ive got one of these on my truck, custom made. its a piece of crap. leaks like a mofo....
Its a 4 inch one, and its on the downpipe comming off the turbo. it splits the exhaust off, and one goes to the exhuast system on the truck, and the other direction goes to a 5 inch pipe that dumps out right behind the front passenger side tire. although, id have to say it sounds really good under high boost(turbo spoolin up whistle is awesome running on that one)
I wouldnt get one on a civic. just get a 3 inch exhaust

Back