Turbo experts only need read this thread

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Tonyd0821

Banned
ok, ek coupe, greddy 15g turbo on the y8, non-intercooled, 5.5psi stock, stock cat and stock exhaust.

after driving normally around town (day or night) for a few minutes, when i try to take off fast (after the car is warm) unless i feed it shitloads of gas when launching, and get the clutch juuuuust right, the car fucking BOGS.

im using the blue box ecu which basically makes it run RICH as shit.

ya i know i need a ic/hondata/exhaust/ blah blah blah

but can there be a more simple explanation as to why my car bogs in first gear sometimes?

running 91 octane, and every so often i give the engine a treat of NOS 107 octane booster.

mobil 1 synthetic, altho there is a small oil leak i need to fix due to my car bottomed out, so im constantly checking my oil twice a day.

What's your AFG telling you? Even if you have an Autometer gauge, that's better than nothing. Get one if you don't at least have that.

Have someone behind you to see what color (if any) smoke comes out of the back of the car.

I can't say without getting answers to those questions but off the top of my head, I'm going to say that it's a combination of heat soak and a rich mixture.

You do need an exhaust. You don't "need" an IC, but it'd be nice. You definetly don't need a Hondata to run 5.5, or even 10 PSI...

Originally posted by Loco Honkey@Aug 30 2003, 10:34 PM
What's your AFG telling you? Even if you have an Autometer gauge, that's better than nothing. Get one if you don't at least have that.

Have someone behind you to see what color (if any) smoke comes out of the back of the car.

I can't say without getting answers to those questions but off the top of my head, I'm going to say that it's a combination of heat soak and a rich mixture.

You do need an exhaust. You don't "need" an IC, but it'd be nice. You definetly don't need a Hondata to run 5.5, or even 10 PSI...

okie. yes, autometer <hangs head in shame>

it says "RICH" all the time. does not fluctuate one bit. think it may be hooked up wrong? we were supposed to tap the big fat white wire by the ecu, but instead we hit something else...

im working on that one.

i get a litlte bit of white smoke coming out of the tailpipe when i change gears @ WOT....

oh ya, and what exactly is "heat soak"

i think i got an idea of what it is from reading a few of your other posts....

like after the car has been running a while, you tend to notice that it is getting a tad

bit warmer and a tad bit unresponsive.....

in the sense that it is not as responsive as when you first start the car in the morning

and get on the gas right away....?

heat soak means that the turbo is simply blowing in a lot of hot air. as we all know, motors make more power with colder air. hot air = slower.

if you're bogging, it sounds to me like fuel problems.

check your plugs. what are they showing? are they dirty? showing rich? lean?

sounds like you're not getting enough fuel, I had this problem on my lude and found the fuel pump was going bad. Replaced the pump and all was good.
Unfortunately without a wideband a/f unit you really don't know if you're rich or lean, those autometer narrowband gauges don't work.

get an EMS of some kind and get it tuned on a dyno.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Sep 1 2003, 12:59 AM
heat soak means that the turbo is simply blowing in a lot of hot air. as we all know, motors make more power with colder air. hot air = slower.

if you're bogging, it sounds to me like fuel problems.

check your plugs. what are they showing? are they dirty? showing rich? lean?

Actually, heat soak is when the intercooler has had so much hot air run through it, it is unable to cool the intake charge, and has Heated up to the point of being counterproductive.

The "Blowing Hot Air" you're thinking of is slang for a turbo being beyond it's efficiency range... Like a t25 trying to make 30 PSI on a DSM. ;)

Back