Turbo Fluid

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

FFCiv

Where does the turbo fluid go? I don't know how to quote from another site but here is the post.

Hi all,
I recently purchased a 91 talon with the turbo. When I drove it, I could never feel the turbo give any power and the guy said it just needed some more boost fluid. He told me to look at the guage, and when I gave it some gas, it never reached boost and he said that meant it was empty. He didn't want too much for it and it was a 5 spd (what I wanted) so I bought the car for $2300 and got it home. Well the next day I looked around forever, but could not tell where I need to fill back up the boost. I saw some lines going into the turbo, so I am pretty sure that is where it needs to go.
The only problem now is that I cannot seem to find any of the fluid at my local auto parts stores. Most of them have never heard of anything like it and one other place said they no longer carried it. Is this something I have to get at the dealer?

Anyways, if you can help please reply, I can't wait to start using the turbo again

ORIGIN (and posts): http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread...56&page=1&pp=25

Originally posted by FFCiv@Jan 8 2005, 08:55 PM
Where does the turbo fluid go? I don't know how to quote from another site but here is the post.

Hi all,
    I recently purchased a 91 talon with the turbo. When I drove it, I could never feel the turbo give any power and the guy said it just needed some more boost fluid. He told me to look at the guage, and when I gave it some gas, it never reached boost and he said that meant it was empty. He didn't want too much for it and it was a 5 spd (what I wanted) so I bought the car for $2300 and got it home. Well the next day I looked around forever, but could not tell where I need to fill back up the boost. I saw some lines going into the turbo, so I am pretty sure that is where it needs to go.
    The only problem now is that I cannot seem to find any of the fluid at my local auto parts stores. Most of them have never heard of anything like it and one other place said they no longer carried it. Is this something I have to get at the dealer?

Anyways, if you can help please reply, I can't wait to start using the turbo again

ORIGIN (and posts): http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread...56&page=1&pp=25
[post=443169]Quoted post[/post]​

may i recomend synthetic boost fluid to prevent spiking?

wow thats what ive been doing wrong! Shit I wonder if all those problems b was having was due to a lack of boost fluid

wow

just wow
i feel bad for that guy, when he finds out how dumb he really was, he just might kill himself

that's terrible.

But on the other hand, people who don't know car should ALWAYS have them checked out by their mechanic.

And for the record, boost fluid is always located behind the intake manifold, next to the throttle body oil resevoir. Blinker fluid is usually located somewhere around the exhaust manifold because it must retain a constant temperature of 600 degrees.

im mechanically stupid. but let me take a stab at it. boost fluid, uh never heard of it. turbo isnt spooling because it ate shit or there is a leak somewhere in his plumbing or his wastegate is fucked?
maybe im wrong haha.

The best part is that one of the stores told him they didnt carry it anymore. I wonder if they were joking, or if they are just as stupid as that guy. :lol: :lol: :lol:

You should definately check to see if the turbo is still good. take off the fresh air inlet and have someone in the driver seat rev the engine really high to keep it running. Stick your finger into the moving blades. If the turbo stops, and then starts spinning again after you remove your finger, it's still good. If it stops, and doesn't start moving again, then it's bad. Another thing you should do is check if the engine is good. This is called a compression check. Pull all of your spark plugs out, and use a dropper to drop about 10 drops of water into each cylinder. Put the spark plugs back in. Start up the car. Some smoking is normal. If the engine doesn't want to turn over immediately, then you know the motor is bad. Another thing you should try to clean the motor out a bit more is buy some automatic transmission fluid, and pour about 4-5 quarts into the engine oil fill cap. It's almost like a detergent and will completely clean out the inside of the motor. There is also a VERY restrictive vacuum line that plugs into your fuel pressure regulator. It's on the end of the fuel rail, which is right above the intake manifold. Pull this line off as you don't need it; all it does is take away horsepower. The only other thing I would check for is down near the bottom of the turbo, you will see a bronze colored metal thing called your wastegate. In some states, they had strict emissions regulations, and they put a vacuum line on there with a T-tap on it. Pull it off if it's there. That line is nothing but an annoyance. I hope this helps, and good luck with your new DSM!!

:blink:

you guys are all wrong, the turbo fluid resevoir is located right behind the flux capacitor, and you need to hit 88mph to use it :lmao:

i thought that when the turbo went wwwwppppsssshhhh it means the fluid is low....he needs to buy lag juice....from the turbo lag plant....next to the waste gate berry plant....behind the money tree.......

:lol: :lol: man this whole thread has got me laughing :lol: :lol:

don't forget to check the windshield gasket and the muffler bearings

windshield gasket - a gasket or seal that seals the windshield from water or any foreign objects from entering the passenger compartment through the mating surface; usually made out of a silcone-like material

Back