turbo for a crx dx?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

erebunicrx

my name is Dale
a few months back i seen a budget turbo kit in honda tuning mag and they made a turbo kit for a crx si. i was wondering if i did the same thing for my car (a crx dx) what would happen, only running like 6-7 psi. i dont care if the car will blow up in a little i just want to drive then do a b16 swap. but for now 500$ on a turbo kit is not to bad . i guess?. let me know what you think thanks alot!!!

no in the mag they had a price list and i all came to 500$. i cant find the mag right now but im looking. they used almost the turbo set up off a turbo eclipse including the intercooler.

Originally posted by erebunicrx@Feb 12 2004, 06:38 PM
no in the mag they had a price list and i all came to 500$. i cant find the mag right now but im looking. they used almost the turbo set up off a turbo eclipse including the intercooler.

It only came to $500 cuz they had a few good hookups for parts and had some stuff laying around their shop. It will probobly cost you a little more then $500 but i doubt youll need to spend $2000 on a junkyard kit either. Homemadeturbo.com is a good resource for what your looking at. I say go for it :D

Originally posted by erebunicrx@Feb 12 2004, 07:29 PM
but will i have problems with having dual point injection?

Yes. There's two ways around this- do an MPFI swap, which I recommend. Or, if you just want to see what happens and how far you can get with the DPFI, use an SDS EIC for fuel management. I say go for it. :)

why don't you just save the money for the b16 instead of wasting it on a junkyard setup?

500 bucks is 1/3 a b16a.

besides, you better have something if you want to be able to hang with us this year :) i'l be running by spring, E is done, bill is bmw'ing it up... hahaha :)

after all the reading i have done on the subject i have come to the conclusion its not worth it to wase money. i say either turbo what you have now but spend at least 1k and try and get parsts that will still begood for a turbo B16 or just save for the b16, do it right and save moeny or do it half ass for a lil fun not. my choice would be do it right, and if i was you over doing it right i would save for the B16.But if you must I would spend most of the cash on the turbo and IC make homemade charger pipes and a vortech FMU and find a cheap manifold off Ebay but the main things are a decent turbo and intercooler as both of these can be used again on the b16 as long as there still in good shape. though i know nothing about the whats going to work with the DPFI vs MPFI so there might be some kinks envolved with not doing the switch to MPFI

Naysayers! Doubters!

The biggest restriction of the DPFI setup is the throttle body. You'll make a LOT more HP with the MPFI setup. Swap to MPFI and boost that if you want 200 HP. You'll be faster than B and E because B will be roasting his tires in the first four gears and E will be falling asleep waiting for VT3C to hit. You'll be spooled by 3000 RPM and haulin' ass and taking advantage of those nice DX gears, keeping the engine in that fat 3000 RPM wide powerband.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Feb 13 2004, 02:31 AM
why don't you just save the money for the b16 instead of wasting it on a junkyard setup?

500 bucks is 1/3 a b16a.

besides, you better have something if you want to be able to hang with us this year :) i'l be running by spring, E is done, bill is bmw'ing it up... hahaha :)

yeah i know but all the money i was saving went to a new apartment i just moved into and i have to finish that wack body work that the bodyshop messed up on. and im getting a little for income tax.

Originally posted by erebunicrx@Feb 13 2004, 05:28 PM
do i also have to swap the head to a si?

Nope. The DX and Si heads of that generation are identical in every way but the camshaft- the Si cam is a tiny bit better. If you can find one for free, get an Si cam, otherwise, don't bother. I didn't notice much of a difference when I threw the Si cam in my DX with an MPFI swap.

Back