Turbo from TDI?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Nick7

Can a turbo from an TDI (turbo diesel) engine be used for turbo-ing hondas?
If yes... are there any models which are better/worse?
If no, why not?

turbos were first used on diesels. hell, the 60-1 turbo is a diesel turbo design from the 80s. you can use it, sure.

all i know is this one time, at the car wash, this guy had his big diesel rig up there and he had the hood off and the size of that turbo on that tractor trailer will haunt my dreams for life.

Well, I guess they're small on 90-110-130HP cars :)
I'll take a look for those... as for example Golf TDI's are more than common here, and should be easy to find turbos off those at junkyards.
Still, if anyone has any suggestion about which one would be bettar than other - please comment! :)

the K03 turbo on a TDI is TINY. It only flows enough air to make about 160 hp. That's the biggest downfall of the VWs (that, and their ever-changing ECU programming). The little turbo is more of an exhaust restriction than a performance enhancer...

go for something like a T3 off a Volvo. I had one on my 1.5L Civ. It hit full boost (9psi) ~2800 rpm and made great power to redline.

Just to add what I've found out.
Most TDI's here in Europe use Garrett turbos.
They range from GT-15 (VW TDI 90,110HP models), GT-17 (130, 150HP models), and there are also Garretts in Mercedes diesel, which range from GT-17 all the way to GT-25.
For more info on those turbo's visit: www.egarrett.com

So, I guess it wont be hard to find one of those here :D

but the turbo on a diesel is smaller.
a 4 cyl gasoline has a bigger turbo then a 4 cyl diesel.(same cc)

Originally posted by Nick7@Aug 11 2003, 12:55 PM
Just to add what I've found out.
Most TDI's here in Europe use Garrett turbos.
They range from GT-15 (VW TDI 90,110HP models), GT-17 (130, 150HP models), and there are also Garretts in Mercedes diesel, which range from GT-17 all the way to GT-25.
For more info on those turbo's visit: www.egarrett.com

So, I guess it wont be hard to find one of those here :D

i think just about ALL the turbo companines use Garrett and modify em a bit.. The only companies they i kno dont are KKK and IHI.

Back