TURBO GS-R

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

UDT

i have heard lots about the gsr being the car to turbo, can some one point out some of the reasons this is such a great motor to turbo. i know the cams are good for turbo and what not but please any one with advice or info go in depth a little, i have been reading alot about budget turbos and had in the start planed on an N/A set up. im sure i will understand what your saying, in other words im not a dummy you dont gota explain what your explaing if you get what im saying but also dont be sparse im trying to learn as much as i can on the subject (gsr & turbos) if i go turbo i plan on keeping the motor mostly stock other then a nice exhaust some injectors, a fuel rail and maybe some different cams and springs etc. along with if needed a different head gasket. i would like to be as fast as can be with out making it a time bomb seeing as how i would like to keep mostly stock internals.

PS. please no flaming, spamming or just plain running of the mouth :spin:

I don't think a gsr would be a good budjet turbo project:
High compression - needs more tuning
Vtec- I'm not positive about this but people say its worthless with a turbo

But if you were to try and do this on a budjet, a T3 from a saab/volvo, revhard manifold, dsm injectors, ebay fmu, custom IC piping and en ebay intercooler.. I know im forgetting something, but you get the idea, shop around find parts you need and put it all together, I wouldn't boost more than 7 psi with stock internals

i had planned on about 6 psi, i wanted to be right below the verge of pushing it. im sure its hard to not turn the boost up just to see what it will do :ph34r: :unsure:
so is 7 psi the verge? or is 8 the verge i wanna be right below so as i dont really have to worry. it could make no horse power so long as i get the cool whoooosh sound :)
is there any way to conver psi to hp? or how do you go about figuring how much boost will make how much hp, this would help me figure out my overall goal.

oh yeah any ebay tips? i do plan on doing alot of my hunting on ebay so any tips from ebayers would be cool seeing as how i have never bought off of it befor though my dad does it alot but hes in san fran so phat chance.

ebay is pretty much "hit or miss" as far as luck goes and actually receiving the product you paid for. if you are going to make a big purchase from ebay(more than you would be ok with losing...) i say do a google search for "escrow service". lately i dont trust ebay or paypal for that matter after losing 1000 to some asshat that sent me b16 cams instead of the jun3's that i wanted. just be careful, and check seller feedback BEFORE bidding on anything. good luck

Thats a good price, but look and find a T3 first, it is the main part of the whole set up.

sounds kinda under handed.....blonco :angry: ......just my style when it comes to the cashola :spin: lol by the way i want the turbo i was just joking about the whoosh though are you serious about something made to make that sound?

yeah they make a turbo sound thing that you bolt into your tail pipe.

as far as the auction, good price.

when it comes to vtec vs non-vtec with a turbo there will always be differing opinions.
but the truth is it really comes down to $$. for a street setup they are equally potent, and will both get your car moving very fast.

if you wanna run lotsa boost first and foremost would be choosing the right tuning equipment. becasue running your car lean on boost will yeild very melted pistons. if yoyu don't want to upgrade your bottom end you should think bout using a thicker head gasket to drop your compression.

next your going to want to try to match a turbo to your approximate goals. this requires some above average math skill but its not rocket sience. you just need to see how much air + fuel your car will need to acheive your power goals.

and make them realistic. (no turbo is going to make 500 hp at 1,200 rpm with zero lag.)

let me see if i can find those equations.

heres a good article on turbos. http://www.cse.uconn.edu/~yelevich/turbo/turbo.html
i have a friend with a boosted gsr with a t5/t6 turbo (?) boosting 11 lbs. with a thicker headgasket, blockgaurd and exhaust cut out and its doing consistant 13.5's you will most likely have to upgrade your clutch aswell, his stock one held up for about a day.

Originally posted by Blanco+Nov 17 2003, 01:59 PM-->
@Nov 17 2003, 11:43 AM
sounds kinda under handed.....blonco :angry: ......just my style when it comes to the cashola :spin: lol by the way i want the turbo i was just joking about the whoosh though are you serious about something made to make that sound?

Yep, they do make it. :lol:

It's not underhanded, it's sniping. There are actually programs so you don't even have to be around for the end of the auction. Let's put it this way, do you want to miss out on that once-in-a-lifetime deal or possibly pay $100 more just to be "fair"? There are people who will bid against you just to make you pay a higher price. And if you do lose, you know that it at least went for more than you were willing to spend.

Underhanded would be giving the other guy bidding a "ping of death" before the auction ended. ;)

they got "sniping" programs for Ebay that are supposedly very good.....

have you looked into turboing a b20 instead? i think they can handle more boost and they are cheaper and easier to find than b18c's. also...they have low compression ratios, dont have vtec and have lots more torque. im talking of the B20B and B20Z's from crv's. not the prelude b20's.

the b20 block is pretty much the same as an ls, with an 84 mm bore, it IS CAN NOT handle more boost due to it's thinner cylinder walls, but with money it can be very quick... anybody else hearin crvtec-turbo ringinin there head.

well now that im thinking turbo, the LS is starting to sound good to me. i can get ls blocks all day long im sure, any one care to elaborate between the two, pros VS cons of a turbo gsr VS a turbo LS. also has any one ever boosted an f22 in a 4gen accord? were still going h22 in it but was just curious if any one had ever seen or heard of one?

with a good fuel managment the ls block could run high boost but not past 7500 rpms. i have a ls and i ordered a turbo for it and i am thinking i will get into the high 13's with just the turbo and exhaust

Originally posted by rixXxceboy@Nov 17 2003, 06:04 PM
have you looked into turboing a b20 instead? i think they can handle more boost

i disagree entirely.

the b20b/b20z are by far the weakest blocks honda has ever produced.

Thinnest walls
wierd hone... i forget what it's called...

the gsr is a bad-ass motor... but if you're on a budget, forget about it. you're looking at 3500 for the swap, and at least another 3k on turbo parts- done right, at least 5k (exhaust, hondata, dyno time, gauges) 8k adds up fast.

if you're on a budget at all- boost isn't for you.

start out NA, swap the gsr in your car stock.... and start to save up for boost.

well see i was gonna buy the gsr as is then peace slowly buy the parts i need to make the turbo set up. the way i see it as long as i get good components ie BOV, WASTE GATE, t3 TURBO, the piping will be done by me and all the other little stuff will come after i get the components worked out. i dont think i am going hondata i need to read more on that subject (ecu's & teh programs) but i dont think i will be doing hondata. does any one know a good place that can inform me on ecu's what all they control how they control it and what you guys are using to read the codes your geting when you do get them, im talking about the trouble shooter codes.

turbo + gsr =fast it a good idea to turbocharge a gsr, but if u goin to do it make sure u do it right fuel control is everything. if u want to use stook internal u dont want to go over 7 psi. Instead of using fmu use the dsm 450cc injector and get a chip program for it(or hondata). That way u dont have to use check valves or missing link. This will also get a better control over your a/f. u will make more power with a vtec motor i wouldn't waste my time turbocharge a ls.

Back